Morning on the ocean

Dan Gonzales

I had a powerful itch to go offshore fishing. I took Ganbold, our exchange student from Mongolia, with me to Newport Beach for an AM half-day boat. I took a chance fishing with 4 year old line on the reels, grabbing the tackle box and hoping I had everything we needed. Having three little ones of our own doesn't leave me much "alone" time out of the house, hehehe.

Ended up fishing in 150 foot waters for sculpin. Ganbold had a blast catching his first fish, his first boat ride and seeing dolphins and sea lions out free in the ocean. I had a good day landing a couple of dozen fish, releasing the little ones and limiting out our catch.

We were on the Western Pride leaving the dock at 6 AM.
IMG_0079.JPG

The bait barge and the barge dog. His job is to keep the seabirds and sea lions off the barge.
IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Nothing like a breakfast burrito with no cheese and a cup of coffee a couple of miles offshore! :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
IMG_0110.JPG

Turns out I still have fishing fever. I didn't pick up anything but a rod and reel while we were at anchor, so no action shots of us fishing.

Ganbold and his big fish.
IMG_5566.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

The captain took a liking to having a Mongolian on his boat so he let Ganbold into the wheelhouse.
IMG_0130.JPG

Newport Beach from the ocean side.
IMG_0150.JPG

Newport Beach from the harbor side.
IMG_0165.JPG

Cheers,

Last edited:
I'll bet it was a bit chilly out there early this morning. Welcome to Sunny Southern California, huh? :D Ganbold looks like a happy camper in the pics. I'm sure it's a day he won't forget. :thumb: