I Got A Rush Order......

Stuart Ablett

A while back, we were in Ikea, or Tokyo Interior, and my lovely wife found one of these "Kitchen Caddy" things, similar to this......

kitchen_caddy.jpg

Well, there were several kinds, and some of them looked like they belonged outside with a plant in them. Then we saw the prices :eek: Holy cow, that much money for a crappy pot :doh:

Then I did the smart thing :rolleyes: I put my mouth into gear without even thinking and before I could stab myself in the leg I said "I could make one a LOT nicer than that for a LOT cheaper......" :D

Now admit it, some of you guys have done the same thing before...... right?

That was a while ago, and last week, my lovely wife said to me.....

..."Where is that kitchen caddy you said you would make....?"

Off to the Dungeon I went :wave:

I picked a piece of Keyaki I had on hand, the tree was standing dead when the arborist brought it down, and the wood had been sitting for about 18 months, so I figured it would be fairly dry, and it was!

kitchen_caddy_1.jpg

I ended up having to lop off about 6" due to cracking, but I figured that would happen. That saw there, a "Sakimaru" (Willow Leaf Pattern Saw) is very sharp and designed to cut logs, but man, that Keyaki is HARD wood, after one cut, I'll admit, I changed to my little electric chainsaw :eek:

kitchen_caddy_2.jpg kitchen_caddy_3.jpg

The outside 1" or so was fairly punky, so it had to go.......

kitchen_caddy_4.jpg kitchen_caddy_5.jpg

....... the piece is now mounted between centers and I used the Easy Roughing tool, at high speed, spit chips all over my shop, but man is that tool fast and easy :thumb:

I then turned a BIG tenon on it and mounted my Triton chuck with the huge bowl jaws on it......

kitchen_caddy_6.jpg kitchen_caddy_7.jpg

Sure is pretty wood!

Next up I started to shape it.........

kitchen_caddy_8.jpg kitchen_caddy_9.jpg

....that is the basic shape done. Next up the hollowing rig gets some time no the lathe......

Cont.....

kitchen_caddy_10.jpg

So far, the mess is only ankle deep :D

kitchen_caddy_11.jpg
I used my nice sharp carbide tipped bit to get near to the final depth, I really like to hollow this way, much easier than fighting that little center nub all the way down.

kitchen_caddy_12.jpg kitchen_caddy_13.jpg
I got the hollowing rig set up and 1/8" at a time had at it :rolleyes: Took a little time, but this is all endgrain and the bit on the hollowing rig does a decent job, even if it is slow.

kitchen_caddy_14.jpg
That is it basically done, all I had left to do was part it off, then remount it on my vacuum chuck and turn the bottom.

kitchen_caddy_16.jpg
Here is the final product in it's new home.

Emiko is thrilled :thumb:

Heck, even my daughter Mizuki liked it :eek: :rofl:

I left the sides thick, as this Keyaki is hard, and I also left about 1 1/2" on the bottom to give it heft so it is stable.

Now I got to clean up....... where did I put that shovel :huh:

Cheers!

Nice work, nice caddy. I would never make one of those for my wife. I know she would store knives in there....handles down. :eek:
Hey! No wonder the caddy in the store was so expensive, it was imported from Mom's Kitchen in the U.S. ;)

Don't you have a floor sweep for your DC? Seems like locating it near the lathe would be the thing to do...
Nice pot, by the way.

I don't want to use my DC for the lathe clean up, I'd be emptying it every other day :doh:

I run it while I'm turning or sanding, to pick up the light stuff.

This kind of stuff, a coal shovel and a garbage bag is the best way to clean it up.

Cheers!

Great pot Stu :clap:. This is one I did a few years ago out of some splated something or other from ebay.

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 31
Looks good Stu. :thumb:

I concur in not using the DC for picking up the bulk of the curlies. The last couple of pieces I've turned have been rather large chunks of ash, and each one would have filled my DC. Much easier to shovel most of it into the green bin for the City to pick up.

Looks great Stu! :thumb::thumb:and it is far better than the mass produced one you showed before;).

No doubt Emiko is thrilled! Be prepared to make some more, your MIL will be next on the list!;)

Looks great Stu! :thumb::thumb:and it is far better than the mass produced one you showed before;).

No doubt Emiko is thrilled! Be prepared to make some more, your MIL will be next on the list!;)

Thanks Toni, she does like it.

No worries about the Monster-In-Law I don't think she even knows where the kitchen is in her house....... no seriously, she has NEVER cooked a meal for her kids, NOT ONE TIME!!

My wife and her sisters were effectively raised by their grandmother......:rolleyes:

:thumb:thanks and it sure looks nice.:thumb:

Sorry, I forgot to post the sizes :doh:

about 25cm (10") tall and the OD is about 22cm (8 1/2") and the ID is about 19cm (7 3/4") plus or minus.

I think an important point to not miss is to leave a LOT of wood on the bottom to make it bottom heavy, so it won't tip over easily. I let about 1 1/2" of wood on the bottom.

Cheers!

Sorry, I forgot to post the sizes :doh:

about 25cm (10") tall and the OD is about 22cm (8 1/2") and the ID is about 19cm (7 3/4") plus or minus.

I think an important point to not miss is to leave a LOT of wood on the bottom to make it bottom heavy, so it won't tip over easily. I let about 1 1/2" of wood on the bottom.

Cheers!
thanks again will give it a go and hope it turnes out half as nice as yours.

Well you could certainly play with the style, you could make it more vase like, with a nice top to bottom curve, or you could make it straight sided. I think this is the kind of turning that you could make from some plain wood, but then using the burn method, put some lines on it, then carve it too.

The one I did I let the wood do mos of the talking and made it somewhat like a terracotta plant pot, as that was the style the my wife liked the most in the store.

If you guys do make some of these please post some pic!