Grizzlys Polar Bear Line?

I just seen that post also. Makes no since. Same everything, but different color, drop price? Maybe they got a better deal on white paint than green? That would be to only way I can figure it out. :doh:

Note that it only says introductory prices will be lower.

I suspect that this may have something to do with the recently settled lawsuit Jet brought against Grizzly/Shop Fox regarding white tools.

Note that it only says introductory prices will be lower.

I suspect that this may have something to do with the recently settled lawsuit Jet brought against Grizzly/Shop Fox regarding white tools.

So maybe just a victory dance by the Grizz?

Maybe since they are shipping into Canada now ( about time) this is a new line for a new market. It would make sence being called the polar line.

I didn't know Grizzly was now shipping to Canada. I suspect you're right about this new line having something to do with that. ;)

My guess is simple. Talking to the Bosch tool guy in Canada recently he said selling tools in the USA right now is very very difficult. I dont think Grizzly is excluded. Hence the accomodations they have made to get into the Canadian market.

By the way when you consider the Bosch guys sales story think of their sticker price and then think of machinery we are talking about.

I think its a bunch of things.

• Not everyone likes green.
  • Busy bee in Canada is also green so Drew could be right but the Canadian population is only 10% of the US so i cant see them doing this for purely Canadians.
  • The imitation Jet story would be better way to go. If you already have a color scheme of white ie Jet this could help you buy Green but in white clothing.
  • Lastly with tool sales being down this is a way to bring an equivalent product to market at good price without upsetting the existing market and its price.
You get to see how tight this market is when you look at the closeness on something like the Go555 bandsaw in white then green. Note that they saying these are introductory so leaving themselves open for change at a later stage.

I think it is clever marketing. Taking an old dog and kicking it back into life at no cost in R&D and loads of marketing hype just look at us discussing it. Its getting more attention than a single new machine. :D

Gotta hand it to Grizzly. I just wish they would buy out the Busy Bee part and make it all Grizzly could not care what color they used.

Here is an example of what we put up with when i say gouging. I even wrote to them about it.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=DUSTDEPUTY

This same unit i just got a email from Rockler where they have it on sale for $84 US which is approx $90 Canadian.

So $90 Canadian versus $115 Canadian. Where is $25 more in value for this piece of plastic. Its made in USA so forms part of Nafta therefore no duties. Both my prices are before our taxes.

If i start on the machinery i could write a book on gouging. Thats all it is so i told them i would rather drive to Buffalo and pay more in the long run than support them.;)

After thought,,,,,,I just placed an order with Grizzly online.:D

Rob, I could be mistaken, but it's my understanding that Busy Bee is/was owned by the brother of the guy who owns Grizzly (Shiraz Balolia) and they had an agreement to not sell in each other's territory. Perhaps something has changed in that regard? :huh:

Yeah Vaughn I think its called recession and i think it probably had a time bomb in the deal that has expired. Interestingly Busy Bee now has some Grizzly stuff in odd areas like the wooden Gerstner look alike but NOT tool chests. They look great in the pictures then you see them up close and realize this aint Gerstner quality.:D

I just cannot fathom the two companies. Busy Bee orders machines that try to look alike Grizzly but you find the motor will be 1HP where Grizzly has 3HP and the price will be hundreds of dollars more than Grizz.

Grizz has Walmart type buying power why they dont just merge and sort the product line out i dont know. The standards are pretty much the same electrically. Its not as if CSA is that different to the Ul or FCC regs in the USA.

I bought my jointer at Grizzly and hauled it across the border and saved hundreds and ended up with a way better product. I suppose egos are in the way and you know what family feuds are like.:(

I would agree with you on that one Rob. I picked up my Jointer from grizzly and saved almost 1000 compared to what was availible here in Canada. Ok I still had to get a ferry both ways and that cost 200. still cheaper and a nice trip to Bellingham.

There is a large, two page, spread (by Grizzly) this month for the Polar Bear series of tools in WOOD magazine. Interesting, the tools still have the Grizzly metal logo on the front. There is no disguising that these are Grizzly tools.
As Rob said, some people just do not like green. I think that is the big factor for this marketing move. The green seems to stir negative reactions from some people with "that Chinese stuff". Then they go out and buy Jet or PowerMatic. :doh:
(take a moment to see my signature :rolleyes: )

I am really having a hard time not ordering the PB version of the 15" spiral head planer. I mean after all; is landscaping in the BACK yard all that important when you get right down to it?