DANG THAT HURTS!!

Jeff Horton

Carrying something from the Garage to the shop. Stepped in hole and knew this was bad. I went stumbling with arm flailing around and finally hit the ground hard! Ankle hurt like heck, when I could finally open my eyes another bad sign. My wallet is laying past my head. I much have hit really hard. OK, what if the ankle is broken? Where is my cell phone??? Oh Lord, this hurts!! No one can see me much less hear me. I was scared there for a minute.

After a lot of moaning I finally was able to sit up and I was able to walk on it, but dang it hurt. I got in the house, found all my stuff... well still haven't found a wrench that I think was in my hip pocket. Someone else will have to look for it. I don't think it is broken but it's swelling and it hurts!!

Not looking for sympathy. Just stuck in the chair wishing these aspirin would do something. Dang this hurts!!

Jeff
Well you have my sympathy even if your not looking for it. Having broken two bones in the last 10 years or so from falling I know the pain....

Hope the aspirin kicks in and hope you are right about nothing being broken...

Garry.

My advice (from someone who took a bad fall last week) would be to go to the doc and get some thing from him for the pain.

I waited two days before I did, hoping the pain would go away and it didn't until I saw the doc...

This should help!

Place ice and water in a plastic bucket. Submerse ankle in icy water for about 10 minutes and remove for 30 minutes; repeat as needed. Will help reduce swelling and relieve pain. This is a common procedure for athletic injuries used by athletic trainers. Should work here also. Consult your Doc. I know it hurts. Hope this helps if you decide to try it.

Ignoring a bad foot/ankle sprain or break is not a good thing.
Feets don't like to heal right by themselves. And, even with treatment, feet and ankles take a long time to heal.
This from someone who ignored similar falls and now has two feet in permanent pain.
Not being able to walk is a bugger, especially if preventable.
See a doctor.

Neighbor came over and fixed an ice pack for me. Aspirin starting to work and now the ice makes it hurt all over. Once the SW gets home I can get the sock off and see what it looks like. I have a better idea how bad it is.

So does that mean you're not going to join us in the Family Woodworking Ice Dancing and Acrobatics competition this weekend? Man, I was so looking forward to seeing you do your famous triple lutz with a full somersault. Maybe next time. For now we'll have to settle for Brent's bicycle swan dive and my renowned "that last step is a 3-story doozy" routine. :p

Heal quickly, and I'll second the advice to see a doc if you can. :thumb:

Ouch I got sympathy pains in my ankles as soon as I heard Ice pack . Hope it isn't to bad & heals quickly. If you see a Doc do exactly what he tells you. & for goodness sake have someone cover that hole.

Well Horton you just never know what you'll see when close to the ground. Hope this cheers you up.

Attachments

• Horton.jpg
    Horton.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 14
this may not help the pain jeff, but it may help to put it in perspective.:thumb: a ways back, my brother was grinding away on something in the front of the 'cuda he is rebuilding (i think it's a 70). he had put one of the purple pads in his grinder, and all was going well, when the purple pad had had enough, and decided to go it's separate ways :eek:(they have a bad habit of doing that). well, parts went this way and that, but the biggest part came back and hit my brother some inches south of his belt:eek: (not a good area to be hit at all). well, he and the driveway became fast friends. he was there for about 10-15 minutes after making sure there was no blood about (just resting he said:rolleyes:). he then said that he hoped none of the neighbors were watching, and crawled on hands and knees, with great dignity, and went into the house. the next day he went in to the doc (he hates going to the doc mind you), for some small cut on his hand. then it was, oh, by the way.... (the doc said he was ok, and was advised not to do it again:thumb:). when he told me all of this, i listened with full attention, and when he was done, and assuring me that all was ok, i couldn't help it, i did what any good older brother would do....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ibuprofen will probably do more than Aspirin for aches, Jeff.

I used to take "vitamin I" (as we called it) all the time for an achy knee when I was on a bike trip.

I couldn't wait on my wife so I hobbled into the Office to get phone numbers so I cancel the jobs I have for the next couple of days. (and I REALLY needed that work) I was fine till I hit the hall, not counters to grab and take the weight. So I see two things.
1. I am going to need to some crutches or at least a cane.
2. I think I need to get this checked tomorrow. It really hurt after that short hobble.

Jeff,

I feel your pain! I hope the doctor finds nothing seriously wrong with your ankle.

I was walking out of the Hilti store on Monday and missed a step.....my ankle twisted and I went flying down on to the concrete in front of the store. I cracked my knee pretty well but the amusing thing was (if amusing is the correct word) is that I realized what had happened...that I had done a fairly textbook PLF (parachute landing fall). Some kindly US Army sergeants :D taught me to do those at Ft Benning GA in the summer of 1984, and 26 years later I still remembered how to do one. :thumb:I even tucked my chin and pulled my head in and that kept my skull from getting cracked on the concrete.:eek:

Go see the doc.

I've broken my right leg three times, and my left twice, I've sprained or twisted both ankles too many times to remember.

There are LOTS of little bones in your foot that if broke and not attended to never heal right and you will regret it for the rest of your life.

And I'll second the Vitamin "I" comment! :thumb:

how is your sore feet---I use a 6 ' tool handle for a walking stick when it is needed

Carrying something from the Garage to the shop. Stepped in hole and knew this was bad. I went stumbling with arm flailing around and finally hit the ground hard! Ankle hurt like heck, when I could finally open my eyes another bad sign. My wallet is laying past my head. I much have hit really hard. OK, what if the ankle is broken? Where is my cell phone??? Oh Lord, this hurts!! No one can see me much less hear me. I was scared there for a minute.

After a lot of moaning I finally was able to sit up and I was able to walk on it, but dang it hurt. I got in the house, found all my stuff... well still haven't found a wrench that I think was in my hip pocket. Someone else will have to look for it. I don't think it is broken but it's swelling and it hurts!!

Not looking for sympathy. Just stuck in the chair wishing these aspirin would do something. Dang this hurts!!

Well, I guess telling you to duck doesn't work...:rofl:

Sorry about the accident and the pain...

Attachments

• Day 2 - 2.jpg
    Day 2 - 2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8
Ankle is much better today. Not really sore but it just hurts. Not to bad, till I over did it. I am on crutches now so that will help. Not try to hobble around. Will get to my Doc tomorrow.