Entry Door Router Bit Set

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone recommend a set of router bits for making doors?

I need to make some decent screen doors for the house.

Any brands to avoid?

These things seem to be pretty pricey. Any good deals out there?

frued makes agood set from what i have heard!!!! not used it yet..but you could just use a bridle joint and save the bit cost and have a very strong door joint and not to hard to make either. use a rabbet bit for the screen area cut some trim to hold the screen in with and the frame itself can be the bridle joints

Doors you finished that table yet??:rofl::rofl:

Sharon i am on your side here you must be tired of eating on the floor by now.

Well, gotta make my concrete counter top first. Once I get that out of the shop, then its time for the table, then the doors!

frued makes agood set from what i have heard!!!! not used it yet..but you could just use a bridle joint and save the bit cost and have a very strong door joint and not to hard to make either. use a rabbet bit for the screen area cut some trim to hold the screen in with and the frame itself can be the bridle joints

I made a set last year with just bridle joints and no middle bar. They work fine, but unfortunately both Sharon and Bucky tried to go through it without opening the door!

Looks like I could get a set from Rockler for 170$ (200 less 15% promotion right now).

This time I want to make them with some stiles and rails to add the visual 'cue' that a door is actually there...

Right now I'm using a strip of masking tape to let bucky know that the door is closed... :rofl:
attachment.php

Attachments

• screendoor.jpg
    screendoor.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 60
rails can be added as well brent unless you just want to part with 170 dollars really bad:) just use some mortice and tenons or another bridle joint. could make them replaceable so it would be easier to rescreen in the future.. yu can do it i got faith in yu:)

I'm getting the shakes, haven't placed an online order in a few weeks...

I've got 4 more doors to make. 1 set of french and two regular...

Hmmm, Pretty good advice Larry.

Putting the credit card back in my wallet... :rofl:

Since you've never used one before, and aren't sure it you'll ever make another door after this, may I suggest a somewhat less expensive set of bits? MLCS has several door making sets for considerable less than $170. So does Eagle America.

I've used both their bit sets, and have found them to be quite good. In fact, I have one MLCS set that I prefer to the CMT set I also have.

Brent - The only entry door set I've used is the Freud set that allows extended tenons. It works great. Infinity makes one too that I'd certainly consider.

41ZACCPQ48L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

door005.jpg

41ZACCPQ48L._SL500_AA300_.jpgp

door001.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Larry - The RT is just 9/8" laminated press board. The faces you see were just some old cabinet boards clamped to the fence faces to give some extra depth to accommodate those door bits.