Would You?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know if you've been following the story about Abby Sunderland, but she's a local 16-year-old who just had her attempted solo circumnavigation of the globe cut short due to a bad storm. There's been a lot of discussion around the media about whether or not parents should let a 16-year-old girl sail a 40" boat around the world by herself. Some are calling it child endangerment. Others are saying "good for her", and bemoaning the fact that there aren't more kids like her these days.

Personally, I'm with her parents on this one. I think if a kid that age has the skill, experience, maturity, and determination to take on something like this, all power to them. Yep, the kid could die. And the same fate could happen walking to school or driving to the mall. She's grown up on and around boats. She's probably a better sailor than most of her peers are drivers, yet millions of kids that age drive every day. (I was driving solo across the state of New Mexico at her age, and with my parents' blessing.) She had state of the art equipment, and she did all the right things when her boat became crippled. She handled the crisis like a well-experience sailor would. My hat's off to her.

What's your take? :rolleyes:

I agree with you Vaughn!

My great grandmother was married at 13, she had four kids by the time she was 16 and her and her husband were growing wheat out in Saskatchewan living in a sod house they build themselves.

It really depends on the kid, some kids are ready and willing for that kind of challenge at 16, some people are never ever ready for that kind of challenge. Lets also be clear they did not exactly leave her unprepared, from the sounds of it they have a lot of technology and planing on their side.

I'm in the "Good for her" camp! :thumb:

Nice new picture picture, Vaughn.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wish we had more boys/girls, men/women who had the true adventure spirit in them. I know it had to be a very hard decision for her parents and applaud them for having the courage to let her do something that most of us can only read about in books that are over 100 years old.

Think about it...she was raised to have the wits about her to survive something that most of us would have never survived. And, I bet the family won't sue the boat manufacturer for not having fail-safe equipment.

God bless her and I hope she achieves her dream.

The problem I see is that she left too late, which put her in the southern ocean with winter coming, and bad storm season. Her parents should have insisted she wait another year, when she could leave earlier and avoid the worse weather.

But what they all wanted was the record as the youngest person to make the circumnavigation. But once she pulled into South Africa, the record was gone. She should have stopped at that point. One aspect of maturity is knowing when not to take a chance. Her parents should have exercised the mature judgement that she may not have been able to.

She could have easily died. She was lucky.

Mike

[Plus, her rescue is going to cost a fortune.]
[When I was in the army, a very wise Sargent told me, "Good soldiers don't win medals." What he meant by that was that if you do everything you should - intelligence about the enemy, sufficient forces, proper deployment, etc., you don't have to perform Medal of Honor heroics.]

Last edited:
I would like to say yes, but I don't know.

In this family's case I think they made a bad call because they wanted her to get in the record books. According to knowledgeable people her delay in getting to sea forced her (as any other sailor) into riskier weather through her voyage than was warranted. She could have waited another year if it was just for the adventure.

I was not aware of the weather issue or the late start, I have to admit, that may have changed my mind, but that has nothing to do with her age restricting her.

I don't have a thing against it, if SHE wanted to do it. Now if she wanted to do it for the hype that's a different story.When i was 16 I wanted to go to calf. As we didn't have much money what's a poor boy to do ? Well my dad droped me off on the interstate in NY and i stuck my thumb out and away i went.Thumbed my way a round this country off and on for 3 years. Always wanted to get to europe and do the same. Was it worth it? To me it was. What a great way to meet some really good folks, and live ones dreams.
Steve

The problem I see is that she left too late, which put her in the southern ocean with winter coming, and bad storm season. Her parents should have insisted she wait another year, when she could leave earlier and avoid the worse weather...

Interesting point, and one I wasn't aware of. I do suspect there was a certain amount of limelight (attention whoring) she and/or her parents were after, and it looks like they may have let that desire trump prudent thinking.

The rescue costs are another interesting aspect of the whole thing, and I'm undecided on how I think that should play out. Aside from fuel costs to the rescuers, what other costs will be incurred? The rescue personnel get paid whether they're in action or on standby. Other than the departure date issue you mentioned, is she more in the wrong than any other sailor whose boat has been disabled in a storm? There are rescues at sea every week. This was her week. On the other hand, I get the impression that the parents aren't hurting for money, so perhaps they should offer to pay the costs of the rescue.

All interesting grist for the debate mill. ;)

I'm agin it. Her rich folks just want to spoil her as completely as possible and heck with the consequences. At age 16 the brain development just isn't there to deal with certain stresses. Trained and skilled, maybe, but still a child. For anyone, an ordeal like that has unpredictable possibilities. Most bad. The captain of the ship nearly died during the rescue effort. Girls parents need to pay all costs.

...The captain of the ship nearly died during the rescue effort...

Where'd you see that? I haven't seen any references to any of the rescue shop captains. I have seen mention that the seas were still rough in the area, but nothing about a captain nearly dying. Granted, there is a lot of media activity on this one, and none of us have seen every report...I know I sure haven't.

On the 16-year-old brain development and its ability to handle the extreme stresses, I think it really depends on the individual, not the age. There were a fair number of 16 and 17 year old boys who went through a lot of stress overseas during WWII. Some with their parents' blessings.

Not arguing or saying you're wrong, just playing devil's advocate and enjoying the discussion/debate. I like seeing the various viewpoints on issues like this. Hey, at least it ain't politics or religion, huh? And no cussin' either. :D

I agree with letting her go. There are many more ways kids can come to harm in their own environment.

I think kids are way too hyper parented today and its going to have its own consequences when time comes for them to stand on their own two feet.

It was not only training etc that was need but courage and guts to face the risks. I admire her.

As the Father said ; You do not know her. She has been sailing her entire life . I would think the father just said go ahead dear, have at it, do your best. I think there would have been much planning into this. Her brother also held the the youngest to sail around the world in 99. This family knows what it is all about.

It's hard for me to judge somebodies decision on something like this.

If I had a daughter, would I be able to let her do something like this? I'd honestly have to say probably not. I'm a worrier. It's wouldn't be in my genes to allow it.

But I respect her families ability to make that decision. Not too many frontiers out there where one can go for adventure.

All I can think is that this young lady will most likely grow up with a level of confidence based on actual experiences that will be hard to match. That is a tremendous gift here family is giving her.

The rescue costs are another interesting aspect of the whole thing, and I'm undecided on how I think that should play out. Aside from fuel costs to the rescuers, what other costs will be incurred? The rescue personnel get paid whether they're in action or on standby. Other than the departure date issue you mentioned, is she more in the wrong than any other sailor whose boat has been disabled in a storm? There are rescues at sea every week. This was her week. On the other hand, I get the impression that the parents aren't hurting for money, so perhaps they should offer to pay the costs of the rescue.

All interesting grist for the debate mill. ;)

A rescue at sea does not involve just rescue personnel. For example, the closest boat to her is a fishing boat (I think that's what the report said). That boat is sailing about 100 miles (one direction) to her location, and will then have to offload her somewhere. They're going to lose at least a week of work. The cost of operating a large fishing vessel for a week, including the crew costs, and the loss of catch is significant.

Also, many rescue personnel are not full time but have other jobs, or assignments. Rescuing her will be very expensive, probably way beyond any family's means (except Donald Trump or Bill Gates).

But as you point out, rescue cost are not charged to the person rescued because it might discourage someone from calling for help, while they can still be helped.

Rescue people go out to every distress call, no matter the situation. But if you talk to them, they get pretty fed up with saving people from their own mistakes - where just a bit of prudence and preparation would obviate the need for a rescue. Also, every rescue involves risk to the rescue personnel. So someone doing something imprudent can lead to the death of someone else. How'd you like that on your conscience?

Flying has a quote: "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots."

Mike

[I don't care about her age. I'd say the same thing if a 50 year old skipper did the same.]

[I wonder if they're going to try to save the boat (tow it), or sink it.]

Last edited:
Where'd you see that? I haven't seen any references to any of the rescue shop captains. I have seen mention that the seas were still rough in the area, but nothing about a captain nearly dying. Granted, there is a lot of media activity on this one, and none of us have seen every report...I know I sure haven't.

On the 16-year-old brain development and its ability to handle the extreme stresses, I think it really depends on the individual, not the age. There were a fair number of 16 and 17 year old boys who went through a lot of stress overseas during WWII. Some with their parents' blessings.

Not arguing or saying you're wrong, just playing devil's advocate and enjoying the discussion/debate. I like seeing the various viewpoints on issues like this. Hey, at least it ain't politics or religion, huh? And no cussin' either. :D

her satellite communications.
French authorities said that at one point during the rescue, the fishing vessel's captain fell into the ocean. He was fished out "in difficult conditions" but is now in good health, said a statement from the French territory of Reunion Island.

I heard on the radio they were planning on scuttling it since the towing costs to get it home would be prohibitive.

Of course, you wouldn't tow it all the way home. You'd tow it to the nearest boat yard capable of making repairs, then sail it home. But maybe that's too expensive, or no one is willing to take the boat in tow.

Scuttling it is going to be a challenge from what I read about the boat. It has airtight compartments - it's designed to stay afloat even if damaged. It'll probably take some planning and work to make sure it sinks.

Mike

Of course, you wouldn't tow it all the way home. You'd tow it to the nearest boat yard capable of making repairs, then sail it home. But maybe that's too expensive, or no one is willing to take the boat in tow.

Scuttling it is going to be a challenge from what I read about the boat. It has airtight compartments - it's designed to stay afloat even if damaged. It'll probably take some planning and work to make sure it sinks.

Mike
Mike i also am not looking to get into a heated arguement. But for the sake of playing the devils advocate also.If this was your son or daughter would you care what the cost. i under stand that she should of waited but she didn't, so that is just water under the bridge. I don't think that captain cared about the cost to him or his crew. If he had he woun't of taken that risk in the first place. Just me but if i was that captain I would of been thinking what if this was me and my crew.Full steem ahead and to heck with the risks.
Steve