Stanley #5 ?

I have a #5, it is a little weird. No where does it have patten numbers or say Stanley other than the lever cap. Cap is the normal place, correct? It has the built up ring around the front knob with the knob beveled at the bottom.

1-It doesn't have a frog adjuster?

2-The screws that hold the knob and tote now are one piece?

This is the one I showed you Larry. I have been all over Blood and Gore, and if I am doing the math right. It should have an adjustable frog, right?

Here is the thread where I first posted it. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18284

Ideas?

Last edited:
Pictures in the other thread aren't very clear, but it looks like the sides are pretty thick, and the tote and knob are stained hardwood (not rosewood), so I'm guessing that you have a WWII model.

Generally referred to as a "Type 17", they had castings that were considerably thicker than the pre or post war models, and were usually (but not always) found without frog adjusters. The blade adjusters were usually (but again, not always) either hard rubber or steel instead of brass.

Dates of manufacture were 1941~1945, making your plane about 65~70 years old.

Type 17s are actually one of my favorites, and I have several 3s, a couple 4s, two 4½s (my absolute favorites), a 5 and a 7.

Yours ought to clean up nicely, but would likely benefit from an aftermarket iron.