Christmas Projects Startup - 2010

glenn bradley

I am starting up on items for Christmas in an effort to be prepared ahead of time. I managed to pull this off last year for the first time and it made those last hours before rushing off to a party so much more relaxed.

I generally make 3 or 4 items and then LOML talk them over, pick 1 or 2 and I knock out a bunch. First off is a small slide top box which leads me to the "sac-fence on the sled as a box-joint-jig" routine.

Setup your dado stack and make an initial notch in the sac fence. I used to use the stack at a "close enough" setting and then hand plane a key to fit. This time I set the stack more precisely and found yet another use for setup blocks.

Xmas2010-boxJointJig 002.jpg

Use another setup block to position the fence at a precise offset.

Xmas2010-boxJointJig 003.jpg

Clamp down the sac-fence and you're ready to cut.

Xmas2010-boxJointJig 001.jpg

The material positioning steps have been discussed many times so yada-yada-yada = test fit.

Xmas2010-boxJointJig 004.jpg

I used some scrap ash for the sides and the floating bottom panel (which is overly decorative; just goofin' with it). This is right off the saw / router table with no sanding or scraping so it is real rough.

Xmas2010-boxParts-2.jpg

I dressed it up with a scroll worked, sliding maple top.

Xmas2010-boxDry-Fit-1.jpg

Here's a little better shot if the scrollwork.

Xmas2010-boxDry-Fit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Glenn

Thats a real nice little box.. How did you chamfer all the little ends that stand proud of the sides. Really adds to the looks but seems very time intensive.

Do you have a quick process?

And the tops begs yet more questions...nice...

Great box and idea Glenn. You had me scratching my head on the use of the word sac for a moment.:)

The scroll work cut out would make it possible to use this box for potpouri no? Although a few chocolates might be better.Mmmmm

How did you chamfer all the little ends that stand proud of the sides.

I put pencil mark about 1/16" back from the existing 90* edge to use as a "stop here" sort of mark. I then sand back to it (at least the edges I can reach) on the belt portion of a belt/disc unit.

I sand the interior edges by hand. Not incredibly fast but the stock is only 3/8" thick so 3 or 4 strokes with some 220 gets the job done. I should have set something in the picture for scale, Overall dimensions are about 5-1/4" long x 3" wide by 2-1/2" tall.

CoooooooL box Glenn.
Rob's idea of using it for poutpourri is great as well, you could even personalise them with the initials or the name of the eventual receiver cut out in the same way as the flower.

Hey Glenn -

Bite the wall. :p I'm gonna start my Christmas presents on December 24th like man was intended to do. None of this 'planning ahead of time' garbage. :rolleyes: Sheesh! :rofl:

The scroll work cut out would make it possible to use this box for potpouri no?

What a cool idea.

Rob's idea of using it for poutpourri is great as well, you could even personalise them with the initials or the name of the eventual receiver cut out in the same way as the flower.

Another cool idea. Thanks guys; this gives me a whole new viewpoint and approach to what I thought of as a rather plain object.

Ya gotta love this forum. :thumb:

what do you use for your scroll work and what blade do you use glenn?

DW788 and Flying Dutchman #3 Polar. I am still experimenting with blades and bought the sample pack from Mike Workshop. Like a lot of things we do, the blade / material combo effects your result. As far as the trial and error learning phase goes, I'm doing pretty well on the error part :D. I am starting to get a feel for it though so there may be hope.