Misery Loves Company

Does anyone have any stories of cutting a piece too small, that no amount of jerry-rigging could fix, and then you had to just set it aside and cut a *2nd* piece? I'd enjoy it if you had to cut a 3rd one too. :D
Cynthia

Well Cynthia,
Now you know wherew the saying "cut it twice and it was still too short" comes from...:D

Remember "measure twice, cut once."

I've cut many boards several times and they were still too short!

But seriously, I try wherever possible to use jigs/stop blocks/fences for cutting pieces that need to be the same size. Seems like if I move it, or rely on measurements, I'm almost always sure to get things that are off.

Does anyone have any stories of cutting a piece too small, that no amount of jerry-rigging could fix, and then you had to just set it aside and cut a *2nd* piece? I'd enjoy it if you had to cut a 3rd one too. :D
Cynthia
Hi Cynthia; :wave:Not a chance, this has never ever happened to me. I'm a way too experienced a woodworker to ever let that happen to me.

I hear this happens to many other woodworkers, but never ever had it happen to me!:D:rolleyes:

Would you be looking to buy a bridge by any chance? I have one to sell!:rofl:

Yep, best bet is to rig up some sort of stop block to keep all pieces the same. Or rig up a story stick of sorts, but the story stick is more for layout of holes, dados and the like. I even have one and forgot to use it here a while back. Patch and replace.

Gee Cut something too small hmmmmmm let me think:rolleyes::rolleyes: Nope never, I have always cut every board the exact size that wanted. ( need a pinocchio smiley guy here) Of course they may not be for the project that I am currently working on though :doh::doh::rofl::rofl:

Remember on the third or forth mis cut you are just working on the next project Cynthia. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Did i ever mention that this is the time to build a shelving unit for all the miscuts and extra boards for future projects. ;)

I'm all about cutting things to the right length.
whistling.gif

It's the right side up/upside down thing that gets me:

What I was trying to make:

Roof Slat 800.jpg

What I actually made:

DAMHIKT2 - 800.jpg

And to add insult to injury, I was being efficient by cutting all of the arbor roof slats at the same time, so instead of messing up one board, I did it to all five of them at once. :bang:

I do have a blue #3 board stretcher with a reverse barb on the shelf if I ever do need it. However, that has never been needed! And I've never cut a piece like Vaughn did. :rofl::D:rofl:;):rofl::(:rofl::eek::rofl::eek::rofl:

I know not what you speak of :huh::huh: this thing you call cut a board to short:huh:
What I think you mean is you cut all the other ones to long:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: