Bandsaw Questions

Hi there:

Could someone kindly explain to me what the use and importance of the bandsaw is in a shop? A neighbor (who's downsizing) has offered me one if I want it, but frankly I don't really know what it does, and I read that it's fussy and requires careful set up and calibration every time you use it.......:eek:

By the way, is there a forum for gloating if I pick up a lot of his tools?
:D

THANKS
(I'm very green if that's not obvious to everyone)

Last edited:
A Band saw is one of the must have tools IMHO. It is useful for things like cutting out round table tops, Making tenions. Resawing thick board into thinner ones. The list goes on. What size Band saw is it and oh BTW gloats are expected along with pictures especialy when you get new tools..;)

this would be the right sub forum for a gloat cynthia, and i agree that if you can get it for free grab it no matter what it is..they are not complicated but are very usuefull:thumb:

There is a bit of a learning curve but that goes with any new tool.
In my shop, my bandsaw is probably my most often used 'go to' tool for making and preparing wood for use. It is much safer to use than a tablesaw and the only thing to use for small pieces of wood. It can be used for milling down large hunks of wood into more usable sizes.
Like others have said it is a 'must' in most shops.
Take it and enjoy.

Grab it!

No, a bandsaw isn't generally tempermental. Once the blade is tracked (a one-time thing during installation) it's pretty much good to go.

A bandsaw is used primarily for cutting curves, and for re-sawing thick pieces into thin ones. For me, it's just about the most-used tool in the shop. In fact, I have two of them, a 14" and a 16" that I keep set up - the 14" for curved and s,all cuts, and the 16" with a wide re-sawing blade. Both get used a lot.

Some shops or individual woodworkers go so far as to say the don't need a tablesaw as long as they've got a bandsaw and a shop saw. I'm not one of those people (I have a cabinet saw, too) but I can see where it could be done.

Now - Grab that free bandsaw before the guy changes his mind!

Cynthia, your question emphasizes the real role of why this forum exists.
To many, your question may seem simple. But to a beginner in this addiction, it is a very important basic matter. I hope we helped. If you have lingering questions, fire away.
If new woodworking/turning puzzlements come along the way, just ask, we really want to help Family members, old and new.

How big a band saw? Sounds like you have some great neighbors. No matter what size if it is free it is good. You can always upgrade later. I use mine more for work with the lathe but there is re-sawing boards and making veneers and round curves and .....

Cynthia, your question emphasizes the real role of why this forum exists.
To many, your question may seem simple. But to a beginner in this addiction, it is a very important basic matter. I hope we helped. If you have lingering questions, fire away.
If new woodworking/turning puzzlements come along the way, just ask, we really want to help Family members, old and new.

Also if I might add, check past posts in the forum as you may find some answers to questions that have already been asked before.

Thanks Frank and Drew:

I'll go have a look at youtube and see if I can find anything. I've never seen one so I have a hard time imagining how it works. A continuous blade? Like a big scroll saw? I just heard it was one of the safer saws to operate which appeals to me.

Size? I have no idea. He said he has it on it's own dedicated stand. He sounded like it was "medium" size whatever that means. He has a drill press for me too, and a router or two :D :rofl: whoops, I'm gloating already. I'll keep everyone posted.

And believe me, I do try to research it before asking...but sometimes it's hard to find a clear answer to a basic question.....and everyone is so helpful here....I'm very grateful.

Cynthia

...And believe me, I do try to research it before asking...but sometimes it's hard to find a clear answer to a basic question...

Very true, especially when you might not even be sure what questions to ask. Don't hesitate to ask stuff. I suspect for every simple question asked here, there are ten to twenty folks lurking in the wings who were looking for the same answer, but were afraid to ask the question.

Add another "get it" vote to your bandsaw question. They are not particularly difficult to set up, and they're easy to use once they are set up.

And ditto that advice on the drill press and routers, too. (Although everyone knows that women aren't capable of using a router. Right Carol?) :rofl: :rofl:

Bandsaw ??????????? Drill press?????????????
I don't see no bandsaw or drill press. Must have never happened.
No pics no gloat never happened:D:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Right Don:thumb:
Oh and for these free tools. Diseases are free too and most of them you don't want:thumb:
I have found that 9 times out of 10 when some one wants to give you a free tool it means here can you take this to the dump for me?:doh::doh:

Last edited: