Natural Rim Ash Crotch Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is some more of my ash from the local firewood lot. It's pretty good-sized at 10 3/4" wide and 8" tall, and has all sorts of figure to look at. It's another widemouth job...just kinda how the blank lent itself. The Ci0 from Easy Wood Tools was a great help on the cove around the neck, and I used it mounted in my Monster articulating arm rig to hollow the inside. It's sanded to 600 grit inside and out, then more of the same Formby's finish, buffed and waxed with Renaissance Wax. Sorry for the extra pics...I couldn't decide which I liked the best.

Four sides, four views:

HF058 - 01  800.jpg HF058 - 02  800.jpg HF058 - 03  800.jpg HF058 - 04  800.jpg

A few more views:

HF058 - 05  800.jpg HF058 - 06  800.jpg HF058 - 08  800.jpg HF058 - 07  800.jpg

And a shot of the leaky bottom. Kinda ruled out the vacuum chuck:

HF058 - 09  800.jpg

I'm open to comments, suggestions or mockery. :D

Very interesting rim detail. I'm racking my brain trying to picture what the blank look liked before you started on it!

Maestro you dun it again.:);):thumb: Now i have decided....i gotta invest in some better lathe tools. My cheapo Benjamins just aint gonna hack it to move up a notch.

I like that edge but also the grain direction and that neck. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the comments, guys. :thumb:

Larry, I guess I'll know in a couple weekends from now how good of seller it'll be. Here's hopin'. :rolleyes:

Brent, since this was from the crotch of the tree (actually, half of the crotch of the tree), the bark surface was sort of wavy, but closer to flat than round. I'll try to remember to get a pic of another similar blank I have sitting in the driveway.

Frank, I've been pleasantly surprised how nice ash is to turn. This was free stuff (the best wood there is) and I figured at the very least, I'd get some practice with it. I was expecting rather plain wood that was hard to work with, and instead I've seen some nice figure, and it cuts nicely with sharp tools. :thumb: