help me identify this

allen levine

I have various pieces of lumber Im not sure if they are cherry or not.
I thought the pieces on right of first pic are cherry, the left I think, not sure, are some type of soft maple, its very colorful.

(Ive never worked with cherry, only used it once I believe when I thought it was some form of sapele or mahogany)I never purchased any cherry.

Attachments

• bed 378 (Medium).jpg
    bed 378 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 38
  • bed 380 (Medium).jpg
    bed 380 (Medium).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 35
  • bed 382 (Medium).jpg
    bed 382 (Medium).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 36
Cherry , cherry and cherry.

Now if you want to do something neat with cherry........take some steel wool and put into vinegar for 24 hours and then take the vinegar and wipe on a small section. Cherry will go ebony in a heart beat.

My vote is for one of the 3 for all the photos --- (Prunus serotina) or (Prunus pennsylvanica) or (Prunus avium)

Appears to be Cherry but.... There is Alder... Looks a lot like Cherry and often slipped into the mix.

Make a rip cut and if it burns, its Cherry

thats very possible, because the wood on the left has alot of color in it, unlike the pieces on the right. and my wood guy has asked me on several occasions if Im interested in alder or basswood.
I have thick slabs, 2inches thick, 2feet be 4 feet of something I thought was some sapele or mahogany family, but it feels too light. so its possible, if alder has that reddish-brown color.

Stephan,
I just have a small storage container that I put 1 piece of schreaded steel wool in fill it with white viniger and let it sit a week. It will turn brown in color and the steel wool will pretty much desolve. I can then place my wood in there for a bit to soak and pull it out when it's done. You can do it with most kinds of wood. Oak works well also.

Stephan,
I just have a small storage container that I put 1 piece of schreaded steel wool in fill it with white viniger and let it sit a week. It will turn brown in color and the steel wool will pretty much desolve. I can then place my wood in there for a bit to soak and pull it out when it's done. You can do it with most kinds of wood. Oak works well also.

Thanks Don i've heard of this before but never knew how much of each to use. After reading Daves post just thought it might be something to try.