Mistakes and Success

Dan Mosley

Had the day free and worked in the garage on a few projects that have been sitting. Then i got called away late in the day and forgot to take the turnings inside and left for several hours. When I returned I was in for a suprise.....Southern Calif Heat is intense........

Picture #1 ----Cracked on both sides right down the middle. I held it together and dripped CA glue into it. Then steel wooled it down and put a coat of semi gloss laquer on it...............it will be a give away thing when done...............dang

Picture #2 ------Same thing with this small Walnut vessel but I opened up the crack and put some black dye around the edges, sanded and put a couple coats of laquer on it.......letting it dry now......another give away when im done......double dang

Picture #3 ------Again, this was left out in the summer heated garage and waalllla .......crack.......this one not repaired as well as i had hoped.....quick coating of wax and will either go in the junk pile or given away........................just not my day so far.......dang dang dang

Picture #4 & #5 ---- Then I managed to put the last coat on my large vessel that had been sitting.....Now letting it dry for a week or more for the finish to cure well.......put a finial on it for one of the pics but not sure it looks right so ill probably leave it off or make another one........but this put a good end to an otherwise bad turning day.......

Attachments

• Small-1.jpg
    Small-1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 35
  • small-3.jpg
    small-3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Small-4.jpg
    Small-4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Small-7.jpg
    Small-7.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Small-2.jpg
    Small-2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Dan,
I rarely take my work pieces out of the shop until they're finished... but then you do live in the desert, which is much drier than here in TN.... last week humidity here was almost as high as the temperature and it was in the high 80's and low 90's all week.

Dang, that sucks about the cracking. Not much you can do once they crack. Any fix looks just like...a fix.

The NE hollow form looks pretty cool, but I think it looks better without the finial. :thumb:

Yeah im going to leave the finial off of it ......the finial is one of a small basket of them I turn and save for vessels and other projects.....this form just looks better without any finial ....or possibly a short stubby one.....
The cracked ones ill just give away or add them to the burn pile.................ahhhh well

Yep its not Tenn wheather......temps here push over the 110's and dry.....so the garage is like a oven and with fans going is like a oven with blowers.....I have had good luck with the turnings when bringing them inside.......cooler ya know...............