What project ya got in the werks

Don Baer

Staff member
So since it seems some are basful to post there projects, I'l ask the question whacha working on. I got the commisin that I am psting on and Allen has his Dining table, Brent is finaly getting back to his dinning table and alen has his kitchen. So whacha all got in the wurks..

I finished and delivered the tables - pictures in a week or two. I'm hiring a semi-pro to take the pics for me so I can use them in my portfolio. I built a hamper to match my built-ins in the bedroom - pictures after the last coat of finish goes on. Nothing fancy, just a box with a lid. Will put the last coat of paint on an exterior sign frame tomorrow and then install it early next week. And I just started milling a bunch of VG doug fir for some window trim in the living room.

Let's see, what else. Oh yeah, get ready for my wedding!

not yet, storms rolled thru about an hour ago. in one area they had about a dozen touchdowns. one small town got beat up pretty bad. only things left on the table, is to plane and cut the new apron part, cut the notches for the table irons, shellac and assemble the base, fit the base to the top, take the top to be sanded flat, finish the top, and final assembly. just in time to bring it to the fair.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maloof-a-like table finish is still curing, waiting for rubout. Milled some stock for some picture frame ideas. Got a pile out of the scrap bin and stacked by type on a table ready to play with some more box ideas. In the back of my mind is whatever comes next for the house; dresser, coffee table, bedframe or some such.

About all I have on the flatwork horizon is some shop stuff...a new benchtop (made from salvaged 2x construction lumber) for a steel cabinet, and a new base for one of my dry grinders to accept the Tormek jigs is all that comes to mind. Lathe-wise, I'll be concentrating on smaller stuff like potpourri and paperclip bowls for the next week or so as I get stocked up for a show in Malibu weekend after next. (I'm already pretty well set on bigger pieces.)

I've gotten some backlog turning done, cleaned up a bunch of bowls that were rough turned, some of them turned out quite nicely!

I've also been working on a new little turning project, quite cool idea I borrowed from elsewhere :D and will show off when I get more done.

Otherwise, I'm just slowing rusting away, as it is rainy season here..... :(

Almost finished with the cherry antique look hope chest for my daughter. Just waiting on the torsion hinges from Rockler.
I'll take a pic this morning.
Next is a secretary desk for one of my other daughters.

Almost finished with the cherry antique look hope chest for my daughter. Just waiting on the torsion hinges from Rockler.
I'll take a pic this morning.
Next is a secretary desk for one of my other daughters.

You have NEVER turned Backlog....... wow, where have you BEEN :eek:

:D

.....smart.......

...ty pants.....

Many projects wanting me to work on them.
A cross for my new church.
A chalice and host for the church.
A pepper mill for myself.
Need several pens for my display at the art gallery plus other items.
Need to finish a couple bowls.
Need to offer for sale some stabilized blanks.
Plus a ton of non-shop projects that are keeping me out of the shop.

What else, a Tangerine. Just as soon as Stonefly is done. This one is for someone else.

Tangerine_Linesplan.jpg

Oh boy Jeff is pushing all my buttons.:rofl: This is my biggest project in the works. Making a strip canoe.
Got the mould stations. Got the strong back wood cut.

I dentified vendors and costs for all the materials, even found a source for wood if i want to cut and make my own strips. Still deciding on that one. It will depend on if I make more than one since a buddy here would like one.

Then gotta finish the long standing loml jewelry chest, now i got all the bits.

Making some tools...cannot say more about that for the moment see my quiz

Workbench is still a work in progress.

Items outstanding are : Sliding leg on front needs holes drilled and its lower rail needs mounting.
Bench dog holes need drilling.
Maple leaf inlay still to be cut and completed. ( may scrap this idea given abuse the top takes and its too soft :()
Need to make a peg for leg vise, been using a screwdriver.:D

Dustcollector still to be hooked up. This is a function of budget resources and canoe build being complete.

Jigs, and more jigs.

The list goes on. Loml has a long long list of items she would like.:D

Doing another set of grips out of Bocote. Need to draw up a head board and night stands for my wife to approve, then build. Need to hang some shelves and storage for the reloading bench.

I've got ideas for a new tool rack for the lathe area. Also working on some heavy end tables for my SIL and of course there is always some turning going on...

You guys all do such sophisticated projects, don't know if mine would warrant mention... mostly I do turning, so the flat work projects get put off and off and etc.... main project I must finish this year is new sofit around the back porch... whoever built the BP onto the house used plywood for the sofit boards... they have begun to delaminate and pieces are falling into the yard.... I'm going to have to pull all that down and put up new boards... think I'm going to look for the plastic or metal sofit material that I saw at one of the BORG's.... I'll need a little help on the project, so waiting for both the birds that have nested up there to get the young out of the nest and for my son to come home for a couple of days.. hopefully, the birds have eaten the wasps that have nested up there... haven't seen too many this year, but usually get a lot of red wasps on the porch.

Other than that, I've decided to take the summer off from shows and work on getting ready for my fall shows... more bowls, hollow forms, peppermills and pens.