Ouch!!

Drew Watson

Well I had knee surgery last week and have been recovering quite nicely but have been staying clear of the lathe till I heal up more. Yesterday I was down at a local tool store as our turning guild has a demo weekend. I of course show up with a cane to all kinds of questions to answer as to what happened and I got the chance to look at some of the other turners from the guild's turning tools and or course the bug caught me again and when I got home I started sharpening some of my tools and making a couple of new ones and I of corse had to try them out and well that 20 yr old that keeps hiding inside me got out and I threw a chunk of wood on the lathe to try out some of the tools. Of course I forgot to put on the face sheild and wasn't really paying attention and that is when I got it. The tool caught and the block came spinning off the chuck at a high rate of speed right into my forehead. Just like a car tire hitting the gound spinning I have a skid mark on my forehead and a cut on the bridge of my nose but nothing too serious, this time (thankfully I was wearing my glass's as i am sure they saved my eye). I called for that lady that still loves me dispite the stupid things that I occasionally do and she brought the ice pack and a towel led me to the chair and rightly chastized me for being so stupid and being on my feet when I should be resting my knee. I of course humbly agreed. So as always just a reminder to everyone out there not to forget to put on that safety gear no matter how small a task that you are doing. I am going to be putting a large sign up on my lathe to that effect.

Yikes. Glad that one wasn't worse. I guess we all need a gentle (or not-so-gentle) reminder about safety now and then.

Purple knee and purple forehead this is beyond the call of duty!
Be safe -- glad you are still able to post.
paul

Thank goodness it was not worse Drew. i think your idea of a poster near the lathe is a good one. The thing i am thinking of is make it a picture. Have loyl take a picture of the damage and use that as a reminder to the mask. Words get ignored after a while, but pictures say a thousand words.

Glad you ok. Knee surgery sucks you have my sympathy.:)

Thanks for all the well wish's. We learn from others mistakes so I am doing my part for all of the family.:thumb::rofl: The funny part of this entire thing was that I donated blood yesterday in the afternoon (do it every 6 weeks) so there wasn't much left to bleed out :rofl: Yea I had a Doc appointment today and saw physio ( with the wife present)too. Doc had a good laugh over my mishap as it was totally my fault for doing something so stupid and was glad that it was only a flesh wound. Physio has told me (in front of the wife) that I am to not be doing anything strenuous or to be standing long. In short I should be spending lots of time on the couch with my knee up and being iced regular. So I am banned from the shop for the next few weeks. :(

I'm glad it was no worse than it was, Drew.

...I am going to be putting a large sign up on my lathe to that effect.

As long as your memory is halfway decent, you probably won't need the sign. ;)

I had one of those "it's just a little cut, I don't need a face shield" head-bonkings a few years ago. To this day, every time I'm tempted to take "just a little cut" I remember the bonking and put on the protection.

I'm glad it was no worse than it was, Drew.

As long as your memory is halfway decent, you probably won't need the sign. ;)

I had one of those "it's just a little cut, I don't need a face shield" head-bonkings a few years ago. To this day, every time I'm tempted to take "just a little cut" I remember the bonking and put on the protection.

Yea Vaughn I will not be forgetting this for some time to come. I only make a mistake once and this was a big one for me as I always preach safety at work. I just got too comfy with the lathe and let my guard down. Oh and for the picture police here is a pic of the damage. Doesn't look like much but it is sore and I'm glad my glasses were on at the time.

Attachments

• Ouch 005.JPG
    Ouch 005.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 20
Drew, you're right -- it does look like the glasses saved you some grief, even if they did contribute to the cut on the nose. Heal quickly, and take care of that knee, too. :thumb:

I tell you Chuck I thought that was what I was going to wake up to this morning. My only saving grace was the wife who handed me a bag of ice about 2 minutes after it happened. Mine was not rushing mind you it was just carelessness. Skipping important safety equipment.

Actually Drew, I was guilty of the same error... I took the face shield off so I could get a closer look, leaned towards the piece and then put a tool to it... just a quick catch and kerbam...... :eek:

Jeez Drew, that was a close one! Glad it wasn't worse. I guess it was a good thing if you learned something. I guess it's my turn to share idiocies:

1. Some of you know I'm a quilter and a quilt *teacher*. I used to think only morons could cut themselves with those rotary cutters....right up until I cut myself quite badly in front of a bunch of people during a class. :rofl:

2. I used to think *my* kids couldn't get hurt under *my* watchful eye. Wrong again. I went to answer the phone and my son, then 2, climbed 2 rungs up a ladder and fell on his *head* on the garage floor. (He was fine.)

Accidents happen. So I'm a lot more vigilant, and less cocky than I used to be. It can happen to anybody--at any time.
;)