Close call

Paul Downes

Got in an auto accident last night. Slowed down and turning left onto our road and a 18 yr. old neighbor decided to pass us in a no passing zone. Hit the front quarter of my s-10 pickup @ 55-60 mph. 1/2 second later and he would have t-boned me in the driver side door. As it was he just missed a big maple tree just past the intersection and crossed over and hit the ditch bank hard. Main thing is nobody got hurt. I am a bit sick about it because I fear the truck will be totaled and I really can't afford to replace it right now. It's my main commuting vehicle and gets the best fuel economy of the 3 we own.

I am almost always very cautious at that intersection checking the rear view mirror and so forth. The wife and I were having a discussion and I was just a little distracted. Plus it was dark and raining. Though the kid was clearly at fault and got ticketed, I cringe at the thought that if he had hit us just a little harder it would have deflected his full size truck right into the maple tree probably killing him. Even @ 45 mph trees don't move and vehicles are usually reduced to absolute junk.

My sister-in-law is recovering in the hospital right now from a real bad accident. I don't know the details yet other than she suffered multiple fractures, and a collapsed lung. I haven't been able to get my brother on the phone so I just pray for them.

It's good to be alive.

Yikes!

Glad nobody go hurt. Good luck on the truck.

Can't understand why some folks get in such a hurry sometimes....

Wow paul you are lucky that no one was hurt. I hope that you gave that wife of yours a big hug for distracting you as it very well did save your lives. Glad to hear the kid was ok too hopefully that was a wake up call for him to slow down. Hope your sis in law is better soon I am sure that your brother has other things on his mind at the moment and he will be in cointact with you soon. :)

Wow, that'll get your attention real fast, huh? I'll echo the "glad it wasn't worse" comments, and also be hoping the best for your sister-in-law.

Glad it was only metal not bones... Hope all works out for you.
Prayers for your SIL and your brother.

Last edited:
Glad you're ok Paul. My son got t-boned this spring, but unfortunately the airbags deployed. The cost of replacing the airbags was more than the car was worth, but if it wasn't for that they would have repaired the car. Typically the other person's insurance will take pretty good care of you, so you should come out ok if it's mostly sheet metal.

Keep an eye on yourself and wife for those aftershock pains. It sometimes takes a day or two for them to set in.