flat panel cabinet door w/ glass question

I'd do it (have done it) myself.

Have the glass cut about 1/8" smaller all around than the opening in the door. Buy "double-strength" glass. It only costs a little bit more than 'regular' stuff.

You can install the glass using either glazers points or a small quarter-round molding.

I take my frames, either picture frames or Cabinet doors to my local Hardware store. She cuts the panes and tapes them in the frames and I pick them up later. Then I affix them in place. (She is located 1/2 mile down the road, Was a Mom & Pop store but now a Mom & Daughters store)

I've only done a glass door once. It was 10+ years ago when I built a stereo stand. I knew that the door would be opened and closed over and over and over again, and sometimes roughly. Therefore I thought it worthwhile to go to a glass place and order tempered glass. Yes, it cost a lot more, but the piece of mind was worth it to me.
My glass just sits in a rabbet and is held in place with clips.

+1 on getting the glass from a local shop and putting it in yourself. You will be surprised how easy it is. I use these to hold the glass in place; 2 on each side.

Attachments

• Glass-Clips.jpg
    Glass-Clips.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 5
I take the opposite approach. I make and finish the doors, then taken them to a glass shop. The glass is glued in with a clear silicone glue (like bathtub or aquarium sealer) so is secure and cushioned to not rattle. The cost of the "installation" at the shop I use is only $1.50 (although another shop charges $10)

With out reading other replies.....

I have the glass cut to size by a glass place, then install it after finishing is done. I just use silicone to hold the glass in, its cheap, doesn't rattle, and can be easily cut out if replacement is neccessary. I just place the glass in the opening and do a small bead around the edges.

Rattling is the big one for me, drives me nuts.