Problem for the experts

Saw Norm deal with this very problem last week...

Norm wanted to keep some old wide boards, wide. He didn't want them to be ripped and re glued. They were cupped. He kerf cut the back side that was not going to show, pressed them down, glued up his panel and then filled the kerf cuts (about half the thickness of the board) with epoxy thickened filler. Seemed to do the trick, the strength of the board was maintained and the cup was taken out. Obviously this wouldn't work if both sides were to be finished bright and be visible.

Thickened epoxy is great stuff, I use it all the time in boat building.

Tom...

I am not a X-Spurt:;)

X = Un known:D

Spurt = Drip Under Pressure:D

Morning Dew, back yard sun shine... I usually try to place the board on the morning lawn, the sun will draw the moisture from the ground and into the cupped side of the board. watch it closely to stop just as it begins to straighten. Waiting too long (second cup of coffee) might allow it to turn the other way.

I have been successful several time with this. :thumb:

Morning Dew, back yard sun shine... I usually try to place the board on the morning lawn, the sun will draw the moisture from the ground and into the cupped side of the board. watch it closely to stop just as it begins to straighten. Waiting too long (second cup of coffee) might allow it to turn the other way.

Cupped side up or down??

Wouldn't work in Arizona, no morning dew..:eek: No lawn either...:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cupped side up or down??

Hump up, Cup down... Moisture from the ground (in normal moist soils not associated with Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, etc.) Dew slowly enters the wood whilst the Sun dries the other side causing the plank to seek new shape, Watch it closely as it seems to sit there and all of a sudden it happens, weights like tires mounted on vehicles may momentary flatten but there is stress withinn the wood (woodworking is suppose to be a stress relief so why introduce stress to the formula?) let it happen in due time and watch it and rescue the piece at the right time, sticker stack at the point where it is straight and allow it to stablize. :thumb:

I lean them up hump to the wood stove cup away. Mist the cup side and clamp flat. :thumb: Some need a second round of water to get them to understand what your telling them.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Buy straight boards to begin with :D

Boards are usually cut straight but poor conditions can create impropper drying and results in warping. Often I have purchased BORG materials taken from AC storage and placed in the back of an enclosed truck bed, on a hot summer's day and by the time I get home the board is curled like a boat keel. I learned to get home quickly, with the back hatch open, get it out of the "oven" ASAP and stack in a cool place and stabilize before using.

Boards warped for longer times takes longer and more effort to straighten, the depth of the drying controls this. Steaming can help, as it relaxes the structure allowing you to sticker stack with weights holding in place whilst it stabilizes. Just the same as when you want to bend a piece with steam and form it to a mold. Same process.