World Cup and Family Woodworking

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
If you've seen any of the World Cup games from South Africa, you're probably familiar with the vuvuzela, which provides a wonderful bit of local color to the games. :rolleyes: :p

For those of you who are missing the spirit of the games while browsing Family Woodworking, I offer you this...

Family Woodworking: World Cup Edition

You'll want to have your speakers turned on. :D

If you've seen any of the World Cup games from South Africa, you're probably familiar with the vuvuzela, which provides a wonderful bit of local color to the games. :rolleyes: :p

For those of you who are missing the spirit of the games while browsing Family Woodworking, I offer you this...

Family Woodworking: World Cup Edition[/URL

I have got to get me one of those....

Actually, I think I've seen those little plastic horns for sale at the Reno Aces games. Can't wait to see how annoying the games will be from here on out...

So Rob, you are from SA right? Can you explain to me, in a politically correct fashion, of courese, whether or not these stupid little horns are really a 'cultural' sort of thing?

I remember my uncle having one of these stupid little horns (Red plastic) when I was but a wee lad with my years on this planet being measured in the single digits. And this was in a very small town in the middle of corn country in Iowa....

You so right Bob. There is a claim that it is fashioned after the tradditional use of a Kudu (buck) horn that is used as a trumpet on tradditional occasions by a specific ethnic group in SA but its more a case of modern noise maker with lots of spin. You can see it in this picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shangaan.jpg

This is the buck whose horn is used
http://www.tjsafari.com/uploaded_images/Todd_2007_Kudu-747221.jpg

The Shangaans are a relatively small group within the greater SA population so i would not say its entirely a national cultural thing.

Bob is right this was around in the world or noise making long ago.

Family Woodworking: World Cup Edition

You'll want to have your speakers turned on. :D

Are we allowed to say vuvuzela here??? :eek: