Visitors

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

Remember Belle, the border collie? She gets freaked everytime there's thunder in the distance, starts digging under the fence, and gets out? Well, she did that again last night. I figured she'd just go in the shop, and I'd put her back in the yard in the morning.

No such luck! In the middle of the night, I hear a huge commotion. Mumbling bad words, I staggered down to the shop. I figured, when I opened the door, I'd see two eyes looking back at me. Wrong! I saw six:

visitor2.jpg

If you look closely at this next one, you can see the tail of one as she disappears into the saw cabinet:

visitor1.jpg

So now I have to go home after work, take everything out of the shop, make sure there's not a whole family living in there, and make sure they can't come back in. I also need to make other arrangements for the cat, who's been living in there. The critters are clearly after the cat's food...

Thanks,

Bill

You might have to trap them.

My neighbor trapped some almost nightly for 2 months, finally figured out that he wasn't taking them away far enough (2 miles at that point) and the same ones were showing back up to eat the bird food.

my limited experience with racoons are that they are extremely destructive.
They are mean. They are persistant, and if they want to get into the house, they will and usually cause damage in the process.

my limited experience with racoons are that they are extremely destructive.
They are mean. They are persistant, and if they want to get into the house, they will and usually cause damage in the process.

I didn't think they were that nice. ;)
They eat wild turkey eggs and young turkeys and are predators on almost anything else they can kill and eat. Often they kill just for the wild joy of killing. We used to (try to) raise chickens and ducks. Many were killed each night and never eaten.
I shoot or trap and kill all I can around my house.
There is an overabundance of raccoons due to the PETA types making fur clothes unpopular. Trappers used to keep numbers in control, plus it was a small industry that helped local economies.
At inside ranges a .22 short is very effective. Just be aware of your background.
Never believe a dead racoon is dead until it stiffens up. They are dangerous critters.

they are almost as prolific as rabbits toni, they wont be missed..pretty neat critters till they get into your stuff or live stock.
I think I didn't express myself well Larry, I wasn't meaning that one should or shouldn't kill them. I was picking on you for saying that they would not come back:D:D:D;)

My experience with these guys is they are better dead than alive.:rofl: Did not take this rookie to North America long to have several encounters with this vermin. Look cute but as folks have said aint nice to deal with face to face.

There are a few that have felt the rath of my catapult and steel balls. Soon as i get my hunting licence it will be .22 bullets.

Gonna make a davy crocket hat from one someday.:D

You could always BBQ them up, they are a bit greasy from what I've heard.

There was a guy here in KC that used to sell them on the roadside out of his truck in certain parts of town. Asked him about them once, said he leaves one paw on so that people know that they are not a dog that he's selling them. :)

I didn't think they were that nice. ;)
They eat wild turkey eggs and young turkeys and are predators on almost anything else they can kill and eat. Often they kill just for the wild joy of killing. We used to (try to) raise chickens and ducks. Many were killed each night and never eaten.
I shoot or trap and kill all I can around my house.
There is an overabundance of raccoons due to the PETA types making fur clothes unpopular. Trappers used to keep numbers in control, plus it was a small industry that helped local economies.
At inside ranges a .22 short is very effective. Just be aware of your background.
Never believe a dead racoon is dead until it stiffens up. They are dangerous critters.

I agree on all those points, Frank. PLUS - they're rabies carriers. Here in Ohio, the Fish & Wildlife folks claim that of the last ten rabid critters they've had, eight were raccoons. DNR actually drops rabies vaccine 'biscuits' from airplanes here, in an attempt to control the problem.

My 'cures' are a bit more simplistic - a .22 or a 12 guage.

they go through the garbage late at night here on LI if you dont close up your trash containers.
A bit dangerous to attempt to shoot them here since our neighbors are only 10 feet from our house.
I once had squirrels living in the eaves of my garage, and I discharged my 22 and my wife starting screaming at me Im going to go to prison as soon as the neighbors call the cops, so I listened to her.
I finally got the little rascal by using a peanut butter sandwich and one of those humane traps.