Beginner Gloat from Lee Valley

Hi Guys:

Just wanted to give you the Lee Valley Report:

Here is what I bought this morning. My very first, mine, all-mine, and only mine, woodworking tools.

LV.jpg

2 books
a set of 3 Japanese detail saws
honing gauge
doweling jig
a couple of good rulers
a set of beginner carving tools
and a hat.

Since you guys told me that if there's no photo, it never happened, here's the photo for you from my backyard.
:D:D:D

Seems you got trapped in another woodworking vortex Cynthia ....the Lee Valley store.:rofl:

Nice tools but you got me curious why three Japanese saws? I can only use one at a time.:):thumb:

BTW you in good company here Robin Lee is a member of our forum.

And thus the joinery journey begins. :) And you picked an excellent place to shop. :thumb: I wish we had Lee Valley stores where I live.

Hey, Rob, well it was cheaper to buy the set of 3 rather than buy them separately. I really wanted 2 of them and figured what the he**, might as well get all three. :D Sharon, next time I upload a pic I'll include me in the hat. Bill, yeah, I really like that book. It says on the cover it's the "Gray's Anatomy" of woodworking.

Careful Cynthia you don't want to buy too much stuff as you will just be more stuff to move. :doh: Just kidding. Now the big question what is next to get on your wish list :huh:?

Drew, don't worry I have a long wish list. :D And don't worry, I have lots of room for tools. I'm waiting until I get to the Island to buy the bigger power tools. I've bought a bunch of used stuff from different people and I'm waiting for that stuff in the mail at the new address in the beginning of July. I'll gloat about that stuff when I get it. I'm waiting for you to tell me what I can't live without. :rofl: I can feel the pull of the dark side, so the hand tools look especially delicious. :rofl:

Shopping at Lee Valley reminds me of going to Costco. I go for 2 things and $300 later come out with 10. I think I'll have to come out retirement to support my new tool habit. :)

A suggestion on wishlists and such:

When I first got back into woodworking after a 30-something year hiatus, I was bitten hard by the tool bug. I'd see a tool or gadget on a forum or in a catalog, and think I really could use one. Had to have it, in fact. In the case of the major tools, I was right...I really did have a use for them. But in the case of many of the gadgets and gizmos, I've often been disappointed, either with how poorly they worked or by how seldom (if ever) I actually used it. (My spring-loaded corner chisel comes to mind.) :eek:

I'm not at all implying that any of your recent Lee Valley haul was stuff you'll regret later (ya done good), but just wanted to share what I suspect is a pretty common phenomenon among us woodworker types. ;) It's probably pretty common in many different hobbies/obsessions...I did the same with scuba diving equipment.

What did you get in diving gear that you didn't need Vaughn?

Ok hand planes are out as are saws of any kind, Drills don't work niether do table saws as they are too heavy for dive weights and the extension cords are too short......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The Trend Airshield leaked like crazy, and the shop apron wasn't neutrally buoyant, so it kept floating up in my face. :rolleyes: :p

Actually, I didn't end up with too much unnecessary diving gear, but I bought some things that I ended up replacing with something more suitable after I got a better feel for what I really needed. For example, I decided I didn't really need the 10" underwater Bowie knife. The little 4" one was handier. The underwater writing slate...I think I used it once. I have a nice 35mm Sea and See u/w camera rig that's never even been wet. I bought it a few months before I broke my back, and haven't gone diving since. Someday, I'll use it, assuming I'll be able to get 35mm film developed. :doh:

The Trend Airshield leaked like crazy, and the shop apron wasn't neutrally buoyant, so it kept floating up in my face. :rolleyes: :p

Actually, I didn't end up with too much unnecessary diving gear, but I bought some things that I ended up replacing with something more suitable after I got a better feel for what I really needed. For example, I decided I didn't really need the 10" underwater Bowie knife. The little 4" one was handier. The underwater writing slate...I think I used it once. I have a nice 35mm Sea and See u/w camera rig that's never even been wet. I bought it a few months before I broke my back, and haven't gone diving since. Someday, I'll use it, assuming I'll be able to get 35mm film developed. :doh:

Yea I went through the same thing when I started diving in 76 and being in the home town of Frank Whites and actually use to deal directly with Frank senior. I use to have an abalone knife and a 10 inch sea hunt knife a spear gun that only got used once and I hit the belly of a lingcod and went for the ride of my life till I could cut the cord to the spear. No BC as they were optional back then and an hand me down beaver tail wet suit ( I dive dry now never to get wet again). I broke my back in 95 with a compression fracture of T12 65% loss of the vertebra and 6 months later jumped out of a plane at 6000 ft. Back into diving right away it is actually good for your back once your in the water. You should plan a trip out this way we have some of the best diving in the world here. Just cold water diving and plan to dive in the winter where the vis is 100 ft.