A mount for the Man Cave

or as wood workers "The Shop"

A friend mounted this bow hill. I think it is awesome but not a mount for the front room........or is it ?

Attachments

• wound1.jpg
    wound1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 51
  • wound2.jpg
    wound2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 54
  • wound6.jpg
    wound6.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 59
over the top for anywhere, i'd say. the arrow sticking out the side of it, to me, is tacky. that it has simulated blood on it, even tackier. having it look like it's trying to get the arrow out, beyond even redneck tacky.

Just a bit of info it's not mine. My friend posted this on a hunting forum to get reviews and all of them are very good but you understand there coming from friends who hunt a lot and together. So I was wondering what a non hunting group would say. I appreciate your honesty. I am in no way offended.

These are my boys in my shop , wife say's no to some thing :eek::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• CIMG0025.JPG
    CIMG0025.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I don't agree with it either. I'm a firm believer of the one shot kill not the wound shot.

I knew there was something bothering me about it and I think you nailed it Chuck. It's a creative mount, but it's showing something that I just don't think an ethical hunter wants to have happen.

I know bow hunting is a bit different and that tracking the animal is part of the whole thing.

But this seems a little too much to put on the wall...

while I have no opinion,since I believe to each his own, just because I may not like it doesnt mean its not enjoyed by someone else, but bob, I dont think shooting a dear with a 30.06 rifle with a 400 dollar scope mounted on it is showing the deer too much respect either.
It may be sport, but the advantage to the hunter is ten fold.

The respect is in making sure the animal doesn't suffer, and that you use it's meat and resources to the full extent without inducing excess suffering.

To my way of thinking, it's possible to do that with both a rifle and a bow. The bow hunter has a higher bar in order to make sure he gets close enough, and can shoot accurately enough to ensure the animal doesn't suffer.

The problem I have with the mount is that it looks like the deer was hit in the neck, and is suffering. To put this mount on the wall makes it look like the hunter is glorifying the suffering, rather than the majesty of the animal.

I like it! Doesn't seem to be the majority opinion, but hey, stuff happens. Sure, in a perfect world each shot would be a bullseye. Someone the other day told me, shhhhhh, "it isn't a perfect world we live in". A buddy of mine got his jaw broke by his horse he has ridden for 10 years kicking him as he walked past it! A guy I knew always wore a helmet on his motorcycle, until he got out in the country then would take if off and ride about 30 mph to enjoy the fresh air and scenery. A deer jumped out and tried to jump over him, hit him in the head or shoulder, knocked him to the ground, he died of a head injury. Sometimes I have to shoot a hog a second time in the pen. Not proud, but has happened. This mount shows another side of deer hunting, the will of the buck to survive. He took what the hunter gave him and is going to tear it out with his teeth and move on. I applaud and enjoy that type of spirit. If no one wants it, send it on, will put it in my family room even though it is not a deer I shot.

The issue in my opinion is not how it is shot but how it's displayed. I don't hunt anymore but I used to hunt quite a bit. We have had rugs made out of bear skin, heads mounted and a bobcat mounted on a tree limb. They all showed the animal in its majesty.
I don't have a problem with guns or hunting. I own several hand guns, rifles and shotguns. I open part of my property to hunters. I know first hand that not every shot is a kill shot.
My preference in seeing an animal mounted is showing how proud and majestic the animal is.

Good discussion, what I was looking for. I could not display this in my shop for the mere reason that customers would be totally turned off and walk out. It's happened with my mounts. The artistry is awesome and I know that there were 30 hours put into the face and noise part alone to get it right. It is very informative and I've seen deer reach back to pull or bite at the arrow after I have made the shot.

I don't agree with it either. I'm a firm believer of the one shot kill not the wound shot.

I knew there was something bothering me about it and I think you nailed it Chuck. It's a creative mount, but it's showing something that I just don't think an ethical hunter wants to have happen.

I know bow hunting is a bit different and that tracking the animal is part of the whole thing.

But this seems a little too much to put on the wall...

Not my style either. Don't like it at all. To me it shows no respect for the animal.

ok folks i am a total bow hunter for over 30 yrs and that shot that is portrayed there, is a deadly shot period.. your not looking at the right angle... its coming in from the back side which is gonna sever the aorta and the pulmanary arteries while doing that will puncture both lungs that animal will most likely drop in under 50 yrds.. i dont like the mount for the reasons mentioned on the peta folks theory,, but that mount is a excellent piece of art in its own area, not here..but dont be thinkun that archers and gun hunters alike dont have feelings for there quarry we do. and that protrall of this animal and the shot placement isnt marginal..and to those that arent aware of archers time frame for taking animals i have see them drop after taking 2 steps and other went several hundreds yards with a lethal shot..but we all have lost one sometimes, gun or bow, and i have found many in the late winter or after season that have got lossed due to poor tracking or marginal shots taken but less than impressive shooters.. so give dave and us hunters a break and look at the art as offensive or great in your eyes and dont enter in to a hunter vrs a no hunter debate please!!!

Sorry if you misunderstood. I'm not critical of hunting or the method.

In fact the mount looks like it was quite well done.

Just saying it's not something that I think puts hunters in the best light.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with hunters or hunting. I used to enjoy it.
I don't have a problem with mounting your trophy and hanging it on your wall.
I just don't like the pose of the animal. I'm sure it's quality work. But I don't see the art or pride in taking such a quality animal and showing off it's distress. It's this particular mounting that I find tasteless not the sport of bow, shotgun or rifle hunting.