The guy in the video makes it clear from the start that his method does not produce a scraper edge like most of us think of. He uses the card scraper to remove mill marks prior to beginning his sanding protocol with his ROS. He says that his sharpening method will not leave a surface ready for finish. I see nothing wrong with what he is doing, its just not how I use a scraper (I am no expert, believe me),

I prep the edge of the scraper so that I can go straight to finish. Once you do it a dozen times or so it is actually quite quick. I am thinking that maybe I should try hand sharpening chisels again. This is something I have never been able to do well but, maybe learning to put an edge on a scraper has broken the curse(?) . . I doubt it; but maybe :eek:.

This is yet another example of how many ways there are to accomplish our tasks associated with this wonderful hobby. One way is not necessarily right while another is wrong (although those exist). Watching what others do expands my education and possibly alters my own methods. Wow, I've got myself all worked up; I gotta go out to the shop and scrape something :D.

Kinda what I thought Glenn.

Still working on this sharpening stuff, but I know what I have is way beyond what the old masters worked with, and they managed to make things I can never hope to master...

Still I've got a bunch of excess glue to get rid of, and I think his method might work pretty well for getting rid of the squeeze out...

Kinda what I thought Glenn.

Still working on this sharpening stuff, but I know what I have is way beyond what the old masters worked with, and they managed to make things I can never hope to master...

Still I've got a bunch of excess glue to get rid of, and I think his method might work pretty well for getting rid of the squeeze out...

Brent,
I use my chisels for getting rid of glue squeeze out/ sharp chisel, bevel up and it come right off..;):thumb:

I have always burnished the edge of a scraper, what a Pain in the whats-it... I'll try this method a time or two to see if it is faster, quicker, better, or not.

Just spent about a half hour scraping my table top with my 'normally' sharpened scrapers. Worked pretty good.

Tomorrow I'll give this guys technique a try.

What I can say is wow, using a scraper works good, but man these things can heat up and burn your thumbs pretty quick....

A few years back, I watched one of the guys in the cabinet shop at Williamsburg sharpen his scraper.

He swiped it across a file, which was held on edge in a piece of wood, then made about three light passed along the sides with a burnisher, then maybe half a dozen very light strokes along each edge. The whole procedure took him about thirty seconds. He then commenced taking gossamer thin shavings off a maple drawer front.

I've been using his sharpening method ever since. As I recall, I showed that technique to Larry when he came to visit last Summer. Tried it yet, Larry?

This must have been mental telepathy having this post.

Yesterday after logging out i went to my shop to sharpen my scrapers.:D

Today i was gonna post a question to the pros on how to get it done.

So i followed what i thought was the process. Took a specially saved nice new flat file. Ran it across the edge with the scraper held in the vice. Got the nice flat surface. Then took my newly manufactured burnisher that i specially made for this purpose and tried to roll/run/blend whatever you want to call it a burr on it.

Try as hard as i could i got only a very small burr which was not able to do much.

Strange thing is i thought that having had the experience this guy has with my scrapers when i picked them up from LV as new, i thought heck the scraper without any burr is more effective than with one.

Thats when i realized i was in now way achieving what i was supposed to with the burnisher.

I now wonder about the steel type used cause it certainly aint soft to "push over" and form a burr and believe me i tried with all my weight.

I was very dissapointed with myself to say the least. The only thing that put my mind to rest is being comfortable that the burnisher is as good as it gets (Ron Hock bar) and the scrapers came from LV so they should not be scrappy steel.

Its obviously technique or skill that is missing.

But what size should one expect the burr to be?

Why the honing you guys mention. I dont see where that makes a difference.

your tryun to catch me in a mouse trap arent yu:) actually i havnt made the jig for the file but i do use a burnisher to get mine sharpened back up.. the only one i have trouble with is the goose neck.. and i am looking for some card stock to make few specailty sizes..ran into some instances where the goose neck wont get where i need to get.

Here's my high-tech outfit.

scraper tools 002.jpg

The file jams into a kerf cut into a square-up piece of scrap. The other file (and a round file I forgot to put in the pic) are used on the goose-neck. If I deem it needed, I will stone the rectangle scrapers (the Starbucks free music card acts as a shim for one side). The burnisher is a shaped piece of dowel with a fouled 3/8" Forstner epoxied in (I cut the head off first).

Rob, (again I am no expert) Some scrapers are thicker/thinner, harder/softer by design. The burr should raise a curly off your fingernail when dragged across it lightly. I wonder if you are missing the middle step here:

Attachments

• scraper-edge.jpg
    scraper-edge.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Once again i need to hit myself on the head:doh::eek: Thanks Glenn you guess right.

How does one get the burr in the middle step though. My scrapers seem to be real hard metal and thin.

I bought this set
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,310&p=61448

Another :doh: oh my bad see what it says "HARD" note to sell Rob learn to read and dont by tools before you have any clue about what you buying.:doh:

Oh boy i get mad with myself when i do such stupid things.

Last edited:
Rob,
My setup is almost identical to Glenn's, except that my burnisher is the shank end of a solid carbide router bit.

His second picture shows exactly how to roll the burr - and it'll work on any steel that's softer than whatever you use for your burnisher.