WHAT ARE SOME PEOPLE THINKING - RANT

Since You brightened my lunch time...

Hi,

Guess I'll have to get in on the name act. Myrna and I did Greg and Glenn. This is fine until you get upset with one. In a rush it is too easy to substitute one similar name for another.

I feel very blessed to have the name James Calvin Bradley. I was almost named Calvin Lorenzo Bradley. I think Calvin Lorenzo for a name would have banished me to the bashful, hide in the corner, type of personality.

Myrna lived on a block that contained the residences of the Horsestinks and the Toothakers. Larry Toothaker made page one of the L.A. Times with about a 5 x7 picture. The headline, "TOOTHAKER GOES TO DENTAL SCHOOL." We didn't even live in L.A. we were 30 miles out...you know, in the suburbs.

Myrna had several other wierd names in her block. Unfortunately (or fortunately for you) I can't remember them.

I had a patient named Mary Christmas.

A optometrist in San Diego had the name Seymore Kuntz. That "had" was on purpose. He didn't change his name though. He did die a few years ago; so the "had" was the proper tense.

Years ago I was at a Rotary Club meeting. The big round tables sat 10 people. Everyone at one table, except me, was named Bob.

I notice all of the weight graphs people are putting on their posts. Like, I want to lose 50 pounds and I have lost 13 and am counting. I weigh 114 and would like to get to 150...can some of you people send me 36 pounds?

Enjoy,

Jim (the father that takes up all of Glenn's time)

Time has come for me to weigh in too. Rennie is a nickname, a shortened form of Reynold which, I believe, has German/English roots as Reinhold. Middle name Frederick. Now, I've been Rennie since before I could walk so I've never known different. My full name was not known by many and, yes, I did have to tolerate being called "Reynold's Wrap" in school. However, I firmly believe that having a unique name is a blessing. I rarely have to sign or give my last name to anyone who knows me. After all, how many Rennie's do you know? In fact, in most friendly, and some informal business communications, I simply sign "R".

I'm never mistaken for someone else with a similar moniker. My name is mine and I don't have to share it. I like having something unique, though I am glad that it is difficult to rhyme or morph into something undesirable.

Guess I'll have to get in on the name act. Myrna and I did Greg and Glenn. This is fine until you get upset with one. In a rush it is too easy to substitute one similar name for another.

You're off the hook, Jim. It has nothing to do with similar names. I have 4 kids, with dissimilar names, and still can mix them up. The only folks who miss this, I would wager, are the single-child families.
I heard stories of my grandma running through ALL of her (ten) kids' names before getting to the right one.