Mahogany

Bob Gibson

I picked up some Brazilian Mahogany yesterday for the slant front desk my daughter asked for.
I've never used mahogany before and I'm a little surprised that the surface looks a bit porous.
The wood is 5/4 x6 clear S4S and is perfectly straight. No cupping, twists or bows. I picked up 9 8' lengths. More than enough for the desk. The price I believe, was fantastic. $1.75 per lineal foot or $3.50 bf. The total cost was $126.00

It will be fun working with a wood I've never used before. I hope that I'm not disappointed. I really wanted to use walnut as I've never worked with that wood before either. But it was way too expensive.

100_3700 (600 x 400)mahog2.jpg

100_3701 (600 x 400) mahog.jpg

100_3702 (600 x 400)mahog3.jpg

everything Ive built so far Ive used mahogany, sapele some way.
I love the stuff. Cant get enough of it. I priced hondurian here at 6.25(maybe it was 6.20) a bf but the guy only did 500 bf or more. I had to pass.

Bob a few things to know about Mahogany. The grain will hold moisture, make sure it is dried out. If you have a air compressor take and put the noise against the end grain and shoot air in watch to see if moisture is coming out from anywhere.
Next you will want to add a few coats of sealer to the wood then apply the Mohawk Oil Grain filler [ use a deeper color then the wood it shows better then the lighter color ] follow direction, then seal and finish.