Dyed pens

Jim Burr

These popped out from the suggestions you guys offered up. Both are maple, Orange one is from Mr Delany and blue is some curly thats been around for a while. Sanded to 400, dipped some dye on a rag and Viola! CA x3 coats on Black Ti cigar. I just used the stuff that CS has, should last about 3-4 years. Comment and suggestions always used.
Cheers!

Attachments

• dyed pens.jpg
    dyed pens.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
Sure does add character doesn't it. Something I will try some day I am sure. I really like them but also wonder haw good the natural wood would have looked. Thats the nice thing when you are working with it. You can see it both ways....

Nice job....

Thanks all. Gary, I purposefully picked woods that had, in the past had been cool..but blah. No point in tossing out the bath water with the baby. I tossed out a pen to Jim Delany out of the maple I turned orange...just wanted to see what else it could do. I really don't want to see walnut made blue;);), at the same time...some orange tint in walnut may be interesting :huh::huh:

Last edited:
They both look good from here, Jim. :thumb: I'm a fan of dyed curly maple. Before you know it, you'll be playing with multiple colors on a single pen. ;) You can get some cool effects by dying one color, lightly sanding that back nearly all the way to bare wood, then dying a lighter color on top of it. You can even do three or four colors on top of each other and curly maple takes it well. Black, red and yellow work very nicely together like that. :)