tool you wish you hadn't gotten rid of

Frank Fusco

Let's turn the question around.
What tool have you sold you wish you hadn't let go of?

I'll start:
I inherited a large, heavy duty scroll saw from my father. I never thought scroll sawing would appeal to me so I sold it.
I still don't think doing a lot of scroll sawing would appeal to me. I just don't have the patience for it. But, there are times I would like to do some decorative work or make other inside cuts. That big ole SS would be handy to have but it's gone.

I didn't answer in the previous thread but my answer for both is the same; my PC557. I thought I needed a biscuit joiner and so wanted a good one. The 557 is a wonderfully versatile machine that I used to set about a dozen biscuits the entire time I had it.

I sold it to a Canadian member from another forum who was thrilled to get it and uses it daily. About 4 times a year I wish I had it back. I made a router jig to take its place for those very rare times when I want a biscuit.

Last edited:
Haven't really gotten rid of any tools yet :D

(Sharon keeps threatening to have that 'Hoarders' show do an episode on my garage...)

I've gotten rid of several tools over the years, all before my current woodworking affliction.

My granddad's bench grinder. Old, heavy, heavy beast that would spin for an eternity after it was turned off. Gave it to a friend when I moved to CA nearly 20 years ago because I didn't have room (or need) for it at the time. I was visiting that friend last a couple months ago, and he's still got the grinder, and he's still using it. It's still got the old wheels on it, and they're still just as glazed over as they were when my granddad used it. :p

My granddad's big Record bench vise. I did move it to CA when I came out here, but ended up giving it to a friend in exchange for some help fixing a roof. At the time, I didn't have a shop, and the friend was setting up a metalworking shop. We both got a good deal out of it, but I do wish I still had that vise. (Even though I've got one nearly as big now.)

My 1967 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty, Fretless Wonder, etc). It was a tool for me, as I was making my living with it when it was stolen. It was a high school graduation present from my parents...$500 was a lot of money for a used guitar in 1976 (at least in our family it was), but they believed me when I told them it was a good deal. That same model and vintage sells for thousands of dollars now. I also lost a relatively new Gibson ES-335 that same night. :(

My grizzly 13" planer/molder and dust collector...of course I sold them to my BIL, so I can still use them. :) It was for a good cause, proceeds went to buy my MIG welder.

I've been pretty selective in the tools I've bought, so most have stayed in my collection.