What wood?

Tom Niemi

Staff member
I have a boat stereo install to do for a coworker and I need to make some wood trim to go around some speakers. My question is what is a good wood to use for an outdoor environment? I have used Jarrah on other boat stereo installs before as I know the will hold up and last but I do not have enough of that. How about white oak? Any and all suggestions welcome:)

Thanks, Tom

Id go with mahogany 100%. Unless he has teak trim around his dashboard on the boat, then Id match it.

heck, Id choose hondurian mahogany over any wood, for just about any project I want to make.
Its beautiful, it finishes beautiful, and machines great. And looks great.

Assuming that the wood is not gong to get wet, the biggest problem would be /sun exposure.. I like Cypress as a weather proof wood. As well as the Mohog, and Teak. Fear that Oak would decay and shrink from sun exposure.

Teak, Cypress, Ipe , Mohogany would be the wood of choice. As was suggested, Match the already present woods

Iroko is another wood that is very good for exterior use and cheap compared to Teak or Mahogany. Ipé wood would work as well.

Apart from that no matter what wood you choose I would protect it with any of the products ad-hoc available in the market.

Awesome:thumb: Just the feedback I needed. A few I had thought of and a few I hadn't. Great feedback as normal, I will run the suggestions to my co-worker and let her choose. THANKS ALL:D:thumb::thumb::thumb: