Tour of a WW II Diesel Sub.

Reminds me of a grade school field trip we made to the Seattle waterfront (or maybe it was Lake Union) to tour a WWII diesel sub. Seemed small to me at the time. Could not imagine what it would seem like to an adult.

There is one in the Arkansas river at North Little Rock. It is open for tours but I have never gone through it.
There is a WWII German sub at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. I toured that when I was a kid. I think subs were pedal powered back then. ;)

Wow, a lot of good virtual tours on that site. :thumb: Could spend half my day looking at all of them. Got to see some parts of Hoover Dam that we didn't get to see in person.

Hey Don, did you ever tour the Russian sub at the Queen Mary in Long Beach? It's pretty cool, but I have nothing to compare it to. (I don't think the Submarine Voyage at Disneyland counts.) :p I was surprised to see a standard electric skillet in the galley of the Russian boat.

Cool site, BTW. :thumb:

along the river in northern philly I took a tour of an old submarine.
I couldnt imagine being in that small of an area under water, during wartime, for long periods of time.
They even had warnings posted about being able to walk through the hatches and such, that if you had any physical limitations, dont board.

Allen,
Although the submarine was bigger the hatches were the same size on the boat I was on. It was a real adventure to be in my bunk sleeping in the forward part of the boat and then have a drill that required me to run to my duty station in the aft portion of the boat as fast as possible. Needless to say I had a few bumps on my head, maybe that why I am the way I am...:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Allen,
Although the submarine was bigger the hatches were the same size on the boat I was on. It was a real adventure to be in my bunk sleeping in the forward part of the boat and then have a drill that required me to run to my duty station in the aft portion of the boat as fast as possible. Needless to say I had a few bumps on my head, maybe that why I am the way I am...:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Even on the DER I was on we had the knee knockers... probably not quite as tight as the subs, but remember knocking my head a few times and the shins regularly.

We also had some standard doors too..