Toy Trains

Jeb Taylor

Here's a batch of trains I just got through with pics and plans as promised. I built some a few months ago and had requests for more.

Parts List
4.75" x 2in dowel
4x 2" treaded wheels
4x 1.5" treaded wheels
8x appropriate axle pegs and washers
5/8" tenon smokestack
1/4" x 3.5" x 10" maple or poplar for the cabin
4.5" x 3.5" x 1/2" walnut for the top
1-1/4" x 2-3/4" x 10.5" walnut for the bottom
1" x 1/4" dowel for the back

The drawing is in autocad which I can't upload so I put the file in a .doc file. I think you should be able to view it ok there. I can email it if anyone wants the autocad.

Attachments

• IMG_1070_1.jpg
    IMG_1070_1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1071_1.jpg
    IMG_1071_1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1072_1.jpg
    IMG_1072_1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Train Doc File.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Not yet :) I don't have a spinny thing.

The wheels you get can get hobby lobby in bags of 8 for $2-3. I ordered some bags of 100 from www.craftsparts.com. Just google "wooden toy parts" and you'll find a bunch of vendors. They have good prices on dowels too.

The bags of wheels paid off, my nephew loves to go make stuff when he's over (he's 3) So we can whip out a car or truck in no time with pre-made wheels and axles. He draws, I cut, then he hammers dowels/glues/screws them togther.

I think i paid about $2.50 for the wheels, axles, and smokestack per train.

Those are awesome, Jeb. :thumb: Thanks for posting the pics and plans. The idea of having a bag o' wheels in stock for visiting kids is also a good one. (I'd do the same if I had any kids in the family that were close enough for a visit.)

Not yet :) I don't have a spinny thing.

The wheels you get can get hobby lobby in bags of 8 for $2-3. I ordered some bags of 100 from www.craftsparts.com. Just google "wooden toy parts" and you'll find a bunch of vendors. They have good prices on dowels too.

The bags of wheels paid off, my nephew loves to go make stuff when he's over (he's 3) So we can whip out a car or truck in no time with pre-made wheels and axles. He draws, I cut, then he hammers dowels/glues/screws them togther.

I think i paid about $2.50 for the wheels, axles, and smokestack per train.

Ive seen the parts on various sites. I asked because I tried like hec to make wheels after seeing toy trucks made only out of 2x4s, wheels included, and after cutting and glueing up pieces, I found the wheels were so difficult to make so I looked up online, and saw all the companies that sold toy wooden wheels.
The trucks I saw were all made on a scroll saw, including the wheels, but they werent close in quality or design to the train engines you make.(but I watched a guy cut 2 trucks out of a 2x4 in 15 minutes, and assembly was quick)
I ended up using an old wooden closet pole, 1.5 inch diameter, and sliced off wheels on the crosscut saw.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that you can use a hole saw to cut a blank and then put it in a lathe/drill press and sand it to get a nice looking slab wheel out of hardwoods. I didn't try it though. At the price, as long as I could find a pre-made wheel that looked good enough it's hard to justify making these things.

Great looking trains Jeb! Thanks for posting the drawings too. I'll PM you my email, I can post the autocads drawings for you.

I would agree with you on making the wheels. I spent one winter cutting out maple wheels for several train sets that my Dad made as gifts one year, a lot of work.

Not trying to burst a bubble here, or anything like that, but has anyone else read the recen Q&A in Wood magazine about CPSC's required testing (for lead and other contaminants) of any toy with a finish on it?

Kinda scary for us home-buit toy makers.

Also, it says that after Feb. 2011 (I think that's right), even the woods and the glues will have to be tested (or certified) for zero toxicity.

Big brother is truly watching over you and me!

I've heard that would apply to small manufacturers. That it might even apply to items sold at craft fairs.

I think it would also affect places like thrift stores and what kind of 2nd hand items they could accept/sell.

Not sure if it would affect gifts from a relative though...

The way I understand it, you can comply by using finishes, hardware, and glue which have been independantly tested to comply. We might in the future (2/10/11) still need to have the individual items verified by a 3rd party, but hopefully there will be some exemption.

Kleanstrip has a 3rd party testing posted on their website for BLO, I bet a lot of companies either already have it or will soon have third party testing.

.dwg file attached. I was curious, do many other people use autocad at all? As an engineer it's second nature for me, but I guess sketchup is a little more common. Not sure if sketchup will open these files or not though.

Attachments

• Train Drawings.dwg
    40 KB · Views: 6
I got a program which open it for me, do you have any more auto cad files that I can use

Here's my other projects I've done. I drew them all myself, but one is based off a very popular chair. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's still legit to distribute since I drew this file from scratch even if it resembles another chair.

They're not quite as polished as commercial plans, I typically only drew as much information as I felt I needed to make it.

Attachments

• End Table.dwg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Morris Chair.dwg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Router Table.dwg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Toy box.dwg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3
I've heard that would apply to small manufacturers. That it might even apply to items sold at craft fairs.

I think it would also affect places like thrift stores and what kind of 2nd hand items they could accept/sell.

Not sure if it would affect gifts from a relative though...

Wood Magazine quotes CPSC spokesperson Patty Davis as saying: "Regardless of whether you're selling it or giving it away, if it's for a child, it needs to be in compliance with the law."

Adding a finish to your project invokes the third party testing requitement today. After Feb. 2011, even the bare wood and glues will have to be tested, but componenant manufactures will be able to provide testing certification.

Kinda sucks, eh?

Wood Magazine quotes CPSC spokesperson Patty Davis as saying: "Regardless of whether you're selling it or giving it away, if it's for a child, it needs to be in compliance with the law."

Adding a finish to your project invokes the third party testing requitement today. After Feb. 2011, even the bare wood and glues will have to be tested, but componenant manufactures will be able to provide testing certification

Can't wait to see how they try and enforce such a stupid law. Can't imagine anyone would ever really get prosecuted for it, unless of course the recipient of the gift decided to engage a lawyer and sue them...

Probably better get that umbrella policy after all...

Can't wait to see how they try and enforce such a stupid law. Can't imagine anyone would ever really get prosecuted for it, unless of course the recipient of the gift decided to engage a lawyer and sue them...

Probably better get that umbrella policy after all...

Yeah, I can't imagine how they'll enforce it.

CPSC has, in the past, resorted to some questionable enforcement tactics, though. When I worked in the powersports industry (fifteen+ years ago), CPSC actually sent shills into ATV dealerships to try to buy an adult-sized ATV for a child (under 16, by CPSC standards). If the dealer said anything other than an emphatic "NO!", they busted him.

I can just see it now---CPSC shills cruising flea markets, garage sales, and Toys for Tots events, looking for 'toys that grandpa made...' :(:(

Adding a finish to your project invokes the third party testing requitement today. After Feb. 2011, even the bare wood and glues will have to be tested, but componenant manufactures will be able to provide testing certification.

Kinda sucks, eh?

YES-NO MORE FREE WOOD unless it comes with a I D chip---
this question wonder what if you give a pen set to a grand parent and a grand kid got hold of it /kid are cutting teeth

Can't wait till they get onto fishing. I remember as a kid being taught how to put a sinker and bobber on the fishing line. If you didn't have pliers handy you could just use your teeth to lightly crimp the LEAD weight onto the line...

:rofl: :rofl:

Here's a pretty good FAQ on the government CPSC web site. Keep in mind this only appleis to items inteded for ages 12 and under. Anything for general use not specifically marketed to kids isn't included. edit - I've read that this was on hold, but the government website seems to say testing for finished products is in effect already.

There is also a possiblity that they will allow component testing to be sufficient, in which case you would only have to use hardware/glue/finishes etc that have been 3rd party tested. There is also an unrecognized testing procedure (XRF) that is supposed to be pretty cheap, like $5-10 that some people are trying to get approved. So long as the items are reasonably identical (same products/design) you only have to get one certified. So that's not to bad if either of those lobbying efforts work out in the future.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/manufacturers.html#ta

is a good FAQ on this subject.

Last edited: