Anything Valuable in your Garage?

A long time back I read about removing the string or at least the handle as that is what they used to hook. Man it is interesting, if they would work half as hard at a real job, just think how productive of a society we would live in!:huh::dunno:

I make sure to lock the 'handle' thing and unplug the door opener. If It's going to be a while, I put C-Clamps on the channel on both sides.

But I never thought about that little trick....

My only "Opener" is my hands, I don't have an electric one, plus I have a Dead Bolt of sorts that has to be removed from inside the garage to open the doors, besides the regular lock

I'm not worried, two out of four lift springs went boing in the last week. sigh...

But wow that is scarily easy and fast. How about an exposed 120 volt wire up there? After all I would know about it. hehehe

Last edited:
that may stop the door opening but they can still break a window or a door down to get in. if they want in they will come!!! i like the 120 volt idea only 220 is better:)

that may stop the door opening but they can still break a window or a door down to get in. if they want in they will come!!! i like the 120 volt idea only 220 is better:)

I agree 100%, one thing history has proved, if a criminal wants to do the crime, they will figure out the way to get it done.
Id advise everyone to take pictures of anything valuable in their garage and save reciepts for everything worth something you put in there. At least home owners insurance might give you something back.

It's not just the sliding garage doors. A 4' crowbar applied directly at the lock will open a normal door in pretty short order with only 1 loud crack. That's how they got into our house...

Wow, that was fast. :eek: I'm with Larry though, if they want in, they'll find a way. I think the most effective prevention is a good relationship with your neighbors and knowing each other's routines. Also a dog usually deters most thieves and try to practice Allen's suggestion of keeping good records. I usually video tape, contents of the garage and open all the drawers. It only takes a few minutes to do and with the digital age, you can store them on remote server or location without much effort for safe keeping.

Good thread to remind us not to become complacent. I don't have the garage door windows to assist the bad guys aim with the coat hanger ;-) I have seen a more brutal version of this where one guy leans against the garage door, his partner jumps onto his back flexing the top of the door inward and he jams a football in the resulting gap. Now he can reach in and unlock the track-lock.

I have the roll-up door mechanism bolted on both sides and alarmed, alarm has UPS and cellular backup in case they cut the phone line or power, blah, blah, blah. I live in suburbia with neighbors about 25' away on each side; good folks. The fact is that if the bad guys want in, they will get in. You just have to make your neighbor's house more attractive than yours :eek:. I am lucky enough to have retired folks on both sides and across the street so someone is almost always out walking around (or peeking out the window) :D.

As to good habits, they can help. I never have my garage door open for more than a few minutes to move sheet goods in and I do that only about every other year. This minimizes lookie-loo potential of passers by. I do raise it about a foot for air circulation during warmer weather. Lumber is brought in around the side gate and through the sheltered side door. The windows are alarmed and covered with insulating foam battens. I keep a pretty low profile and a real irregular schedule.

Last edited:
even though I always have my garage door open, I have cars on the driveway and that usually blocks most of the view. I never leave the door open if I go inside for 10 minutes to cool off or take a break.

Some nights, when IM bored, I sit in my back room with my norinco and a few 40 round magazines,(sometimes I even fix the bayonet in case I feel frisky) and open the door and put on a few lights. Then just sit and wait.
Havent had any takers yet. It beats deer hunting in the middle of the woods when its 12 degrees outside.
Figure if the judge asks me why I needed to have 120 rounds of ammo for home protection, Id just tell him Im a lousy shot.

This post is fictional and posted as humor.

Last edited: