Do you have an inventory list of your shop contents?

Rob Keeble

In another thread Darren wrote

"I usually video tape, contents of the garage and open all the drawers. It only takes a few minutes to do and with the digital age, you can store them on remote server or location without much effort for safe keeping."

I thought this could do with a little highlighting for greater awareness. Its like safety the kinda things we forget until its too late.

I plan on doing mine this morning, its something i have been putting off but every now and then i wake up in the night to noises and think, is someone in my shop. Since we have a holiday here i have the time.:)

Thanks Darren.

I have a spread sheet of all my bigger tools. Date bought and serial number. Pictures of all the stuff and set up.

Router bit and saw blades, I just don't worry about.

With my homeowners policy (and the fact that this is a hobby) I am covered so far. I also use digital pics including shots of serial number plates on larger machines. These are on a memory chip that is in the file with all the receipts and warranty info in the fire-safe in the home office. I update it at tax time; what I mean is that I use my tax prep as a reminder to update my shop inventory info.

not only your tools, you all should video any valuables you have in your home for insurance company proof. it only takes a few minutes, and the worst that could happen is that the insurance company wont believe you.

Hi,

I think Glenn made his preceeding two posts to try and get his old man in line. He is always showing me how much more efficient it is to put a tool away when you are thru with it (so you can find it again) and jazz like that.

Now he's messing with my photo inventory system---which I regularly (every few years or so) keep up to date. He just can't seem to get it into his head that I have to work a couple days a month and don't have time for foolishness.

Enjoy,

Jim