Philadelphia Opera Company

Dan Mooney

I'm not a big Opera fan, but I thought this was pretty neat! :thumb:

On Saturday, April 24th, 2010, over thirty members of the Opera Company of Philadelphia Chorus and principal cast members from the upcoming production of LaTraviata converged on the Reading Terminal Market Italian Festival. Wearing street clothes and blending in with the crowd, the artists swung into action as the first orchestral strains of the famed " Brindisi " were piped through the market, giving a rousing, surprise performance for hundreds of delighted onlookers who were there to enjoy the Italian delicacies and the everyday treats that the Reading Terminal Market has to offer. The four-minute piece drew an overwhelming crowd, and won a thunderous ovation that included both laughter and tears from the audience.

Watch It Here

that was fun !!!!-- it lead me to several others -- always many minutes are gone when I start looking at YouTube...

Thanks for the post

That was good. I have a neighbor directly across the street who teaches Music and is a well know opera singer in Europe, I get to hear Opera whither I want to or not some evenings. But she is very good.

Dan thanks a ton for posting that. :thumb::thumb: I aint a huge fan of Opera either guess it was because my mother and brother shoved it down my ears as a youngster. However have come to appreciate some of it and this is one of my favorite pieces.

What i like most though is the concept of performing it in an environment of this kind and having the cast dressed and mingling like ordinary folks. :thumb: That makes it way more enjoyable, entertaining, more of an emotional experience. Sort of made me think of how Shakespeares plays were originally performed rather than having to spend a small fortune on tickets to join stuffy nosed people all dressed in a tux. A little like the skits you see in the television series Fraser.

Performed in this manner I think i could get to like the Opera.:D