Lathe question

Jeb Taylor

I was thinking about a lathe on craigslist, and I have a question for you turners out there

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/1822331233.html

The other jet mini lathes run around $400 new on amazon. I figured this was a good deal, but I really don't know what something like this will do. I'm not going to be jumping into bowl turning or anything, but stuff up to 3-4" would be nice: pens, handles, small toy parts, salt/pepper shakers, etc. Will this do what I want to do well, or is it something I'll want to replace as soon as I learn how to use it?

Looks like and older 1014 model. I know lots of people that have this lathe and have turned lots of things on them. Price seems good too...around $350 new! :thumb:

Remember this thread in a year...I bet you have turned tons of bowls by then...and upgraded to a bigger lathe!

I would say go for it. The bundle deal he is offering includes the lathe tools. A cheap set of those would set you back min 50 to 80 Dollars.

Just make sure it runs before you buy. The rust will clean up. Great for what you wanting to do inmho.:thumb:

He said it runs and works fine, and he was the original owner/never really used it much. Going to check and pick it up tomorrow if all looks well. Thanks for the help :thumb:

Now start keeping a tab on what you spend on all the extras that you will purchase once you get hooked on turning, either pen or larger items or both. I'd be willing to bet that this time next year you will have done at least one or two of the following if you got the bug:

- got a bigger lathe
- got more/better tools
- got an inventory of wood you forgot existed
- forgot how time flies when your are working on the lathe
- and many more that others here will identify

I got the bug about a year ago after not turning for over 50 years - in junior high shop class. I bought a new Delta lathe with extensions and stand and a Delta/Oneway chuck. I don't want to add up what I've since spent on chisels, HSS and carbide, pen blanks (various types of woods and plastics/acrylics), upgraded tool rests, pen turning kits, drives used in turning pens, wood finishing materials and the list goes on.

I too found a good deal on a lathe posted on Craigslist.
Same Jet mini-lathe,(15 hrs on it) Jet stand, Jet slow speed water grinder. Original price was $550 for ALL. Sent her an e-mail. Response-if you can pick it up by Thursday, you can have it for $450. I was there that day.

Also, she had some bags of 'stuff'. "take what you want or all of it". Took 'all of it'. Receipts from Rockler and Woodcraft totaled $175. Pen kits, blanks, lots of good stuff.

I put a piece of 3/8" plywood between the lathe and the stand to make a table.