Big surprise last night!

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
Ripping a board - I used what I thought was all the safety and correct procedures for ripping a board --

Did you hear me yell last night? Confession today for the words I used out-loud and even more to myself -- Pain -- so much that I wanted to puke and pass-out at the same time... I even had to put my head between my legs to keep the floor from hitting my nose. assumed a broken arm but it was not..

KICK BACK err major kick back!!

The photo does not show the shoulder pain - must have moved my arm back far enough to hurt the shoulder joint..

I am leery to even turn the saw on now... but I need to use it -- my project is not done/// trying to build up my courage and massage my ego.

Last edited:
you need to explain how you were doing what it was that caused this paul.. so the rest of us can relate better than just a kick back.. must hve been some plywood huh???a

Where i come from we used to say "Eina" with the E pronounced "A". :eek: That means very very sore. Sorry to hear of the accident Paul. But they say best medicine is to get back on the horse.

I agree with Larry tell the detail so people can learn and you can get advice on where things went wrong. Otherwise no one is the wiser.

Nasty! BTDT...

Using a splitter? - preferably one with pawls? I hardly ever make a thru cut without one any more. Same with my UNIGuard - I nearly always use it.

They work, and I feel much less apprehensive about using the saw with them on there. Note: Some apprehension is a good thing. It helps keep you mind on the task at hand.

I am not sure what caused it? the board was Sycamore about 3/4 inch thick 6inches wide.

I could feel the binding - I was out of the line of fire! I could not push it or let it back out! the on/ switch was way to the right so I got real scared saying to self how do I turn this monster off? leaned over to shut it off and it let go hitting my arm..

If I knew more I would correct and saw some more!

the discoloration has spread -- nasty looking

Glad no parts were removed, only bruised. And what a bruise; ouch. I built a large "paddle" for my left mounted on/off switch that can be turned to off via a tap with my toe, knee, hip, whatever's close. I believe there is a thread here on modified power switches.
I couldn't find it but here's some ideas:

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 20
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
I am glad that the injury were not too bad--- a small chuck fell on my toes [2] yesterday/not much that I can do other than complain about the bruise toe