Attaching stuff to cinderblock garage wall

You talking Cinder block or Concrete block (not the same thing) Cinder Block was from WWII era when Concrete was a scarce item and Cinders were pleantyful as most were burning coal.

Tapcon for the Concrete blocks, Toggle bolts for the Cinder blocks as they will crumble away from the Tapcons.

I have used them a lot lately on a job (went through about 20 boxes) simple as drilling a hole and screwing them in with a screw gun. Use a clutch to prevent stripping out or snapping off, Don't suggest an impact drill as it makes them strip (IMHO) although there are those who are successful.

too bad that the bookcases can not be fasten to the ceiling or rafters

too bad that the bookcases can not be fasten to the ceiling or rafters

Why can't they? I have a very heavy crystal cabinet hanging in my kitchen from the ceiling. It was a bear getting the lag bolts up through the ceiling and into the cross-rafters (only about 14" of head/body room), but it got done, and it hasn't moved in 8 years. And it has glass doors, glass shelves, and a LOT of crystal and glassware in it.

Like Larry said go with tapcons. Make sure you hit a motar joint. Now if you no the blocks are poored solid you can put them where ever you like.
Steve

I beg to differ, the mortar joint has the least holding power, drill into the block and the tapcons will do the rest. Tapcons are agressive gripping threads and often strip out in crumbling mortar. Bricks are another matter , they are so hard it is often necessary to go with the mortar and use plastic anchors with Panhead screws, although limited holding power. .

I beg to differ, the mortar joint has the least holding power, drill into the block and the tapcons will do the rest. Tapcons are agressive gripping threads and often strip out in crumbling mortar. Bricks are another matter , they are so hard it is often necessary to go with the mortar and use plastic anchors with Panhead screws, although limited holding power. .

Yeah, what Bill said.

Drilling into the mortar on a block wall is actually the weakest option. Cast concrete blocks are very strong - even in the thinner wall portion they're much stronger than the mortar joint.

I also agree with Bill's opinion of attaching anything to bricks.

For permanence, I'd even go so far as to use a good construction adhesive - like Loctite or PL Premium - in addition to the Tapcons.

potatoes - potatatos, which is better?
cinder block - concrete block, which is better?

It has long been my understanding (doesn't make it right) cinder block is lighter to handle and gives better insulation.
Concrete is, supposedly, stronger but gives lousy insulation. I know it is heavier than cinder.
How do they compare price wise?

I have a very heavy crystal cabinet hanging in my kitchen from the ceiling. It was a bear getting the lag bolts up through the ceiling and into the cross-rafters (only about 14" of head/body room), but it got done, and it hasn't moved in 8 years. And it has glass doors, glass shelves, and a LOT of crystal and glassware in it.

Why can't they?

the only reason that I can think of is the garage walls height versus the bookcase height

potatoes - potatatos, which is better?
cinder block - concrete block, which is better?

It has long been my understanding (doesn't make it right) cinder block is lighter to handle and gives better insulation.
Concrete is, supposedly, stronger but gives lousy insulation. I know it is heavier than cinder.
How do they compare price wise?

Frank,
Who even makes 'cinder' block any more? I haven't heard of them, except misnomers - mostly from old-timers (Sorry, Frank) - in about thirty years.

All the (new) block I've seen since about 1970 has been concrete.

jim ,, not positive but i think that the crete and block companys stil make some kind of lightweight block,, probally not cinder but lighter than normal ones.. the paper mill tanks have linings and they used to use them in the constrution of new tanks..then seal them inside with tiles..fill the cores as they went up the tank.