Nice jesture from a friend

Dan Mosley

Had the day off today and doing a few projects in the garage. Then a friend called that was going to come into town and told me that he was bringing me a fantastic fresh cut tree stump. He said he was pretty sure it was a pepper tree and should work nicely for woodturning. I asked him once he got here how long ago the tree was cut down. He said he thought about 4 months ago or so............guess I should have been a bit clearer about what I meant by fresh cut hugh ?
See attached pictures below............didn't have the heart to tell him that it was far from fresh cut and not so sure I can use it but I thanked him and gave him a nice large mesquite bowl for his trouble......ahhhhh well ill try to cut it on my day off next week and see how much will be firwood and if any can be used...............

Attachments

• Trunk-1.jpg
    Trunk-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Trunk-2.jpg
    Trunk-2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Trunk-3.jpg
    Trunk-3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 66
  • Trunk-4.jpg
    Trunk-4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Dan I think you did the right thing by not saying anything. His next trip to town could be even better. By giving him the bowl he will be on the look out for wood for you. When he calls to ask if you want it always say yes. People I know find better wood for me than I find for myself. And I don't want them to stop looking even if it's only fire wood.
Dennis

Yeah I like the idea that others will call me if they run across some wood like that and I figure what I can not use ill cut into firewood. Last year the firewood pile was getting to big and I just sold a couple truck loads to bring it down to a mangable pile...........

dan educate your gatheriers, tell them to coat it with latext paint two coats any color..that will save more for the lathe or you could get some anchorseal and give it to them which is better ,,becasue its a reminder that hey i need to do this for my friend:)

Yeah I think im going to give a couple of them some anchor seal.......good idea..................thanks.............ill let you know if I can get a crotch pc out of this log..............

Should be some interesting stuff inside that one. :thumb: I'm guessing the middle's still good...you should get one or more good blanks out of it, even though the branch ends are checking. (I'd probably be cutting those parts off anyway. ;) )

HA! I'll trade you. I had a friend call me the other day and asked if I was still doing that wood turning thing. Said she had some wood to send me. I got real excited. This is what I received:eek:

But I figure, hey she is thinking of me and that is good. I will make her something out of it, pen, mushroom, or a mini knitting needle...

This should make you feel better!

Attachments

• IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Paul -------- ahhhhhhhhhh yeah...........maybe some finials......lol

Vaughn - yep the branches are cracked and will need to be cut off - and split into firewood..........then im hoping I can cut the remaining trunk in half for a couple of good blanks.........ill post some pics later to show what I ended up with...................