Value and Weight of wood question

Okay, I am on the horns of a dilema. My Uncle (honorary not blood, but was closer and more influential than the blood uncle) lives in North Carolina. That is all I will say about an address. He has asked me to come to his woodshop and get his stash of wood because my Aunt will, (in his words) "just burn it when I die". He figures he has 4,500 - 5,000 bdft of rough cut lumber. General description, a little wormy chestnut left, mostly walnut, cherry, not much pine, and about 300 bdft of maple cut for some violin projects (ie; 15" wide, 2" thick, 8-10' long).
First of all, what would a good estimate of weight be? (not holding anyone to task if I get fined after running across some scales! :doh::rofl:)
He has asked me to talk to some people and see the value of this and make an intelligent offer. Any ideas?
He is not physically able anymore to go dig through the pile so any questions that involve physical labor from him are not possible. But if you have any questions I can compile and call him to ask, that would be great. So,,,,,,I guess I need 3 things from those of you in the know.

1. Weight?
2. Value? or intelligent offer.
3. Compilation of questions to ask to get more specific answers to questions numbered 1 and 2.

Anything else relevant to this discussion is welcomed. Side divergent conversations welcomed also as I have a lot to learn.

As for weight, per fine woodworking oak has a specific gravity of .68 and cherry of .5, walnut similar, which puts them around 3.5 and 2.58 lb per bf completely dry. I have heard before oak typically arounds 4 lbs and cherry/walnut around 3 lbs per board foot with typical dry moisture content, which seems reasonable, if a bit coservative. Chestnut I believe is lighter as is pine, not sure on maple but it should be close for soft maple. So, somewhere around 3 lbs/board foot from what I've read should be a reasonable estimate.

As for value, varies a lot depending on quality and sales conditions. In alabama from the prices I've seen on cherry/walnut are $1.50-2.00 for #1 common and 3.00-4.00/bf for FAS lumber. Maybe less for that kind of volume. Maple is close, pine is <$1/bf, but I'm not exactly sure. I would expect NC prices to be similar. Any figured woods of course can be worth much more. A large lot like that might sell considerably cheaper though if someone was trying to sell it fast.

Weight total will likely be around 17,000 pounds for the 5K bd ft.

Value? Dunno - quality of it will set that price. Probably average something like $1.50 ~ $2.00 bd. ft. :dunno:

If you buy it, you can swing North and drop off a bit of that 8/4 or 12/4 stuff at my house on your way home. You know, save some of the shipping weight. Less wear & tear on your truck that way...:D

I greatly appreciate the answers so far. Still wondering so hoping some keep providing their answers. The discussions create some more questions for me and some of the discussions answer others for me. I am going to call Unc tonight, talk with him and try to get a straight answer on types and quantities. He and I talked in generalities last summer when he visited here. Otherwise he and my mom have talked and sent word to me through her. I did find out the farm is for sale so I do have a more immediate deadline.
Yep, Larry has first dibs, especially if I drag him along on this trip and utilize his muscles and loading abilities! Quite honestly, there might very well be possibilities of wood for sale if I can't afford to hoard it all for myself! I have the storage shed space, but I have been broke so long the moths even died in my wallet for lack of food!:doh::doh::eek::eek::eek::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

hey jim get in line,, i asked first:):rofl::rofl: even if your closer..

Actually I think you'll find that line starts behind me Larry.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Your just cheating by getting in the truck with Jonathan.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh wait a minute, Jonathan you take Larry south and I'll get us some walnut and fancy cherry.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I been giving this some thought. I'm guessing that it's about 1000 miles one way. If you make Larry drive his truck and you yours both with trailers, you could git it all in one trip.
So guessing you each get 10 mpg that's 200 gallons of gas = 600 buck or so.
Now what does the wood cost if you where to git it at home? Round here I can have 1000 bf of F4S pine dropped in my driveway for 400 bucks. Granted the other wood is gonna be more money but you git my drift.
If the wife is planning on burning it for fire wood than that is what it's worth 5 thousand bf = about 2.5 cord, here dumped in my drive = $386.00
If it was up to me I think I wouldn't want to have much more than .50 cents a bf into it for my own use.

if you want to turn some of it over fast, or turn some of it into cash fast for your uncle, please contact me and Ill meet you either in NC if the price and quantity is right(as much as a ford 150 could haul safely), or Id meet you along your route from NC back to Indiana. Id be interested in walnut and cherry. no maple or oaks.

Your gonna have to git Larry to bring you that from his house Allen:rofl::rofl::rofl:

hey allen ,, i like you and al but this is taking friendship to another level:rofl: tryun to cut me out of this stash shame on you and i already offered you some wood but yur afraid of the rednecks up this way i quess:rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: good one jim:thumb::thumb: didnt think about that part but hey i would be in the great south and i kin git me dose of southern hospitality.. gots to hav sum when yuall kin get er done..best durn example to live by i ever did see..

I been giving this some thought. I'm guessing that it's about 1000 miles one way. If you make Larry drive his truck and you yours both with trailers, you could git it all in one trip.
So guessing you each get 10 mpg that's 200 gallons of gas = 600 buck or so.
Now what does the wood cost if you where to git it at home? Round here I can have 1000 bf of F4S pine dropped in my driveway for 400 bucks. Granted the other wood is gonna be more money but you git my drift.
If the wife is planning on burning it for fire wood than that is what it's worth 5 thousand bf = about 2.5 cord, here dumped in my drive = $386.00
If it was up to me I think I wouldn't want to have much more than .50 cents a bf into it for my own use.

Without the arithmetic, I came to the same conclusion. Not worth the bother. Also wondering, if yer 'uncle' is so close to you, why doesn't he just give it to you? My stash will be given to a friend or my woodturning club.