Coffee Wood

Here is a NE bowl I turned from start to finish. It is some Kentucky Coffee Wood I got from a turner I met in Lexington, Ky. Really nice wood to turn. It is 8 1/2" by 3 3/4" high. Has two coats of AO on it.

Attachments

• Coffee Wood Bowl 1.jpg
    Coffee Wood Bowl 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Coffee Wood Bowl 2.jpg
    Coffee Wood Bowl 2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Coffee Wood Bowl 3.jpg
    Coffee Wood Bowl 3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 42
Thanks all. Stephen I didn't have any trouble with the bark staying on. I get it close then sharpen on the Tormek and give it a final cut or two. Once the walls are done I finish the lower half then blend.

Yes I did Les but I think it had more to do with the 4 cups of coffee that I drank.:D

KY Coffee is loverly wood. Not rare but hard to find. I have a couple of small pieces, but have my eye on a nice tree. Also have a jar full of seeds.

Nice Natural edge. Thanks for posting

and some huge seeds inside that were once used to make coffee, problem is.... contains a poison and instead of Making your morning, it was making your friends moarning...

Seeds won't germanate untill the hard coating is removed. Dear eat the pods and expell the partial digested seeds that then can grow aided by furtilizer found near by... Ta Da a new bowl for Bernie is born, can you wait that long? The ones I planted at my daughter's land are nearly 2 ft. tall, if they make it past the deer, wonder how old I'll be before I can copy a Bernie bowl? (best get practicing)

So I got to thinking about this coffee wood stuff...

If you have a void or crack in a coffee wood bowl, what kind of powder do you mix with the glue to fill the hole? Coffee grounds would be too obvious. Instant creamer, maybe? :D

Thanks again. I have to say this was the easiest NE other than mesquite that I have turned. Really nice wood.

Sitting with a chunk of Mesquite in my garage (a product of a Texas visit last spring) Neve been successful with NE turnings. But I thought I might try one (again) What say you of Mesquite? Any special clues or secrets?

Bill I have turned several Mesquite NE bowls. I love turning mesquite. The one thing I will say is it is a extremely stable wood and can be taken from start to finish. I am not a fan of extremely thin bowls NE or otherwise so my walls are around 3/8" to 1/4" thick. When the upper lip and walls start getting thin to where you want them sharpen your gouge and take light cuts final cuts. Above all don't take that famous one last cut.:bang::mad: Don't ask me how I know this.:rofl: