Which Chuck to choose?

I have a Craftsman Wood lathe with a 20in bowl capacity and was looking into buying a 4 jaw chuck for it. What would you reccomend? :dunno:

I have the PSI GMC3 Mini chuck and the PSI Barracuda 4 and am very pleased with both. They both come with several sets of jaws making them super values compared to the high dollar brands.
The Barracuda 2 seems to be a very popular chuck. Less money but less capacity as well.
Do consider, either the B2 or B4 may cost more than your lathe is worth, depending on how old it is. But, you can also use on other lathes if you ever upgrade.

I have a SN2 and am very happy with it. The only chucks I have are Nova so I can't give you a comparison. Nova are good chucks IMO. But than I'm sure Oneway's are also as well as the other brands. The only comparisons I can give you is I prefer a chuck with a key verses the one wit the two rods to tighten you stock in.

I have heard good things about the PSI chucks, however, since I haven’t used one I won’t comment on those.

I do have the SN2 and really like it. If I remember correctly the 50mm jaws are rated for 14” diameter and 6” deep bowls. The same chuck with the powergip jaws (100mm) are rated for bowls up to 23” diameter or hollow forms 6” diameter and 19” deep.

There is probably a mfg. rating for the PSI chucks using various jaws also.

Mike

I have the PSI GMC3 Mini chuck and the PSI Barracuda 4 and am very pleased with both. They both come with several sets of jaws making them super values compared to the high dollar brands.
The Barracuda 2 seems to be a very popular chuck. Less money but less capacity as well.
Do consider, either the B2 or B4 may cost more than your lathe is worth, depending on how old it is. But, you can also use on other lathes if you ever upgrade.

I have three of PSI's chucks myself.. the GMC3 and two of their lower end Barracuda's... They get lots of use in my shop and handle their work very well.... I would prefer the single key type like the B4, but the tommy bars work fine.

I'm looking to pick up another chuck or two so I don't have to continually change jaws... I'm looking at Grizzly's $42 chuck... it's a 1 x 8 and looks just like my Barracuda's.

I use a Vicmarc chuck and I've been very pleased. But as you can tell from the other responses, just about every chuck out there performs the way they should.

For me, I prefer a one handed opening/closing action, a closed back for no maintenance, and the variety of jaw sets available from Vicmarc. In fact, the jaws are a huge factor in why I have a Vicmarc.....I really like the dovetail shaped jaws.

I don't think you would be disappointed with any brand name chuck, but I would lean towards one with one handed action.

Hutch

I have three of PSI's chucks myself.. the GMC3 and two of their lower end Barracuda's... They get lots of use in my shop and handle their work very well.... I would prefer the single key type like the B4, but the tommy bars work fine.

I'm looking to pick up another chuck or two so I don't have to continually change jaws... I'm looking at Grizzly's $42 chuck... it's a 1 x 8 and looks just like my Barracuda's.

Chuck, I'm no expert, so take this for what you think it is worth, but I had one (HAD) one of those Grizzly $42 chucks. I gave it away after a few times using it. Could have just been me, but, Did not work good for me.

I run the Nova chucks on my Nova lathe, it came with a G3 chuck, and once you get into one brand it is better to stay with it, as all the jaws are interchangeable. I have a SN2 and the Titan as well and I very much like them, I have to say that the Vicmarc and the Strong Hold would also be very welcome in my shop. I have one of the Chinese Vicmarc knock offs, I use it on my midi lathe, and I very much like it too.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of these chucks.

B4

I looked in the PSI catalog list night, the Barracuda 4 is still in there.
Read the descriptions carefully. There is a lot of information given, you will need to understand all to make your decision. An advantage with the PSI series is that they give several jaw sets with theirs compared to the high priced versions where you have to buy as expensive options.

Chuck, I'm no expert, so take this for what you think it is worth, but I had one (HAD) one of those Grizzly $42 chucks. I gave it away after a few times using it. Could have just been me, but, Did not work good for me.

Paul,
That's interesting to know... I've looked at it on line and in the catalog several times, and finally sent an email to Grizzly find out the actual dimensions of the chuck... it looks like a 4 inch diameter and very similar to the one I have from PSI. I don't really need it, just getting tired of changing jaws... guess I should stop being so lazy... and before the chuck, I really need to get a couple more face plates... I'll start a project and have to leave it on the FP for a day or two for one reason or another, then I'm stuck starting a new project until I go back and finish the first... :(

I have the Vicmarc VM100 and love it. I did find out though that the $99 grizzly chuck is a clone and all the Vic jaws fit it. I now have 4 grizzly chucks with Vic jaws. Yea I know I am lazy and don't like changing jaws.