table saw problem

Chris Mire

so i am pretty sure one of the capacitors on the motor for my table saw is bad. the motor won't start correctly, it has correct 220 power because i tried another tool there. i stole the larger capacitor off my dad's saw, same size motor and brand and it ran better but still not right. so i am going to just replace them both.

not sure if this can damage them but i seem to have gotten too busy to clean the inside of the saw and both covers for the capacitors were filled with saw dust.

so does anyone know where i can get these for my saw?

thanks
chris

thanks darren,

neither of those had one. went to 2 electrical supply stores and neither did they. I am about to try and contact an electric motor repair place in Baton Rouge to see if they carry parts.

I am pretty aggravated right now with Steel City. I have called their "Tech support" line about 15 times, I get a recorded message everytime with hours and telling me to leave a message. So far I have left two messages and have no call back yet. Last time I dealt with them I had great service. This time I am very disappointed. at least have someone answer the phone

thanks again for trying to help

chris

darren, i mean both caps

so, i guess me complaining did the trick cause as soon as i hit reply with my complaint about steel city....a tech support guy called me and was very very helpful....so i take it back. I am once again getting good service from steel city

i think we have a line on the caps, gotta go check one more thing to be sure

thanks again

Try Grainger... http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

Capacitors are "Shelf Parts" for the most part. get the numbers off the old ones, Also take it along with you to match the size & shape & connections, etc. Some times when I go, they want a business name to tag on the sale and others, not. Best to go with a name and address of a business to buy it under. Here are the LA branches, pick one... (from their site)

VBranch: 058
8188 Tom Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70815-8046
Phone: (225) 923-0215
Fax: (225) 923-2168

Branch Hours:
7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Central (Monday - Friday)
View Map and Get Directions Branch: 534
12455 Airline Highway
Baton Rouge, LA 70817
Phone: (225) 756-9340
Fax: (225) 756-9341

Branch Hours:
View Map and Get Directions

Branch: 535
9506 Ashland Rd
Gonzales, LA 70737
Phone: (225) 644-0740
Fax:

Branch Hours:
View Map and Get Directions Branch: 538
5366 Highway 311
Houma, LA 70360
Phone: (985) 851-5501
Fax: (985) 858-2001

Branch Hours:

Branch: 418
1508 Eraste Landry Rd.
Lafayette, LA 70506-1989
Phone: (337) 237-0507
Fax: (337) 234-0415

Branch Hours:
View Map and Get Directions Branch: 417
901 Frontage Rd. E. Hwy 90
New Iberia, LA 70560
Phone: (337) 369-8820
Fax: (337) 369-8821

Branch Hours:

Branch: 537
601 S. Galvez St.
New Orleans, LA 70119-7517
Phone: (504) 822-7600
Fax: (504) 822-7300

Branch Hours:
View Map and Get Directions Branch: 536
825 Distributors Row
New Orleans, LA 70123-3209
Phone: (504) 733-9742
Fax: (504) 733-9891

Branch Hours:
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM Central (Monday - Friday)

Branch: 760
5126 Hollywood Ave.
Shreveport, LA 71109-7716
Phone: (318) 635-9120
Fax: (318) 635-7149

Branch Hours:
View Map and Get Directions Branch: 419
2502 S Cities Service Hwy
Sulphur, LA 70663
Phone: (337) 626-0788
Fax: (337) 626-7951

Branch Hours:

Branch: 508
500 Thomas Rd.
West Monroe, LA 71292-9454
Phone: (318) 324-0404
Fax: (318) 324-1004

Branch Hours:

well, not sure why i didn't figure this out sooner but it isn't the capacitors, it is something with the motor. i plan to pull the motor later and open it and clean it. the tech guy told me their service guys have had to do this before. i guess it's worth a shot before i replace the motor. worse case i may have to bring it to a motor repair shop.

bill,

i went by grainger this morning, they didn't have the start capacitor which is the one i was looking for, i thought it was the run cap, but the SC tech guy told me it was the start cap.

thanks for the help
chris

Hmmm. I know my dads old Craftsman Radial arm saw had a centrifugal switch on the back of the motor. Basically a couple of wings that once the motor came up to speed would (i assume) turn off the start capacitor.

Since they were open to the air, they would get clogged up with saw dust everynow and then and would fail to operate properly. Blowing them out with a little compressed air would 'fix' the problem..

Just an idea...

Chris, wasn't one of the selling points of the Steel City items a 5 year warranty? If I'm remembering that correctly, they they should at least send you the capacitors. If that doesn't fix it, and a cleaning doesn't fix it, then again they should send a motor to you. I do think the suggestion about the centrifugal clutch is something to really look at. If dust is getting in there, it might not be releasing properly. Jim.

ok, so i pulled the motor. i tried to take it apart but I can't figure out how to get the fan blade off. I took off that horseshoe shaped pin that i thought was holding it on but it still won't come off and with out it coming off I can't get the cover fully off to clean in there and see what's going on (not that I would know anyway because I am ignorant when it comes to elec motors)

so I cleaned it best i could, put it back together and wired it up while it was out of the saw. hit the switch and it growled a little but it ran. but it didn't seem to be running at full power, maybe 95%...then it tripped the breaker, so i know something is still wrong.

if those centrifugal switches are inside the motor then i can't get to them. i need to get that fan blade off i guess.

i am waiting for steel city tech support to call me back. i will ask him about the fan blade and also inquire about the warranty...not sure how that will work I bought the saw used from someone. when I shut down the shop I sold my other steel city to my dad because I planned to buy a different saw.

The tech guy says it is a leeson. Found Allen screws holding the belt pulley on but can't get them loose. I am on my phone now will load pics when I go back inside

Thanks
Chris

well he says it's a leeson, but isn't leeson american made? this one says made in china on the tag.

i finally got the fan blade off, that thing was on so tight, i had to pry it off little by little. got that cover open, still can figure out how to get the other cover open. but it looks like the centrifugal switch is on the fan side. i took a picture along with other pics of the motor.

photo.JPG

photo(2).JPG

photo(3).JPG

photo(4).JPG

i forgot to add, the switch seems to move freely and there wasn't a large amount of dust in the motor case. light dust which i would expect in this type of operation.

i will clean and lube it with wd-40 anyway and put it back together to see if that fixes it.

the steel city rep did say it is covered under warranty if the motor is deemed faulty. if it was caused by dust it will not be. we'll see how that goes.