Log cutting - Pepper Tree Trunk

Dan Mosley

First day off and decided to cut that trunk that a friend brought me to see if I could get any blanks out of it.
Picture 1 - is the trunk
Picture 2 is where i have trimmed off the arms of it and checked areas
Picture 3 is how i decided to split it into 2 blanks (one thinner due to some bad areas)
Picture 4 is a couple of the arms that I took to the bandsaw and trimmed into smaller blanks

Mounted up the large one after I cut it round on my bandsaw and started turning it to round it out smooth. Then I had to decide what I wanted to make from it and decided on a large vessel. Ill post picture later of the hollow form because I ran into a big problem here in So. Calif. The heat in the garage is intense and it started to check while i was hollowing even though i kept puttting sprayed water/soap solution.....kept working it until it was hollowed out to about 1/8 and then with the tennon on i put it into a 5gal container of 50-50 water and liquid soap to soak.......I was running out of time and the checking would have continued so at least until tomm or so the solution will keep it from cracking.........It is complete except sanding and parting off the tennon.....
My next move to keep it from checking or cracking is to take it out of soak and wipe it down well...........let dry on the lathe and sand thru the grits.....when i get to 220 im going to change over to wet sanding it with DO and go to 500.......then im going to soak it in another container of oil/varnish/MS I have for a day or so........taking it out and putting it inside where its much cooler to dry...............dang heat here is a bowl wrecker.........

Attachments

• Log-1.jpg
    Log-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Log-2.jpg
    Log-2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 38
  • Log-3.jpg
    Log-3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Log-4.jpg
    Log-4.jpg