Delta Osillating Edge Sander

Jay Brewer

Was wondering if anyone owns one, or another make. Need to upgrade my sander and would like some feedback, thanks in advance.

I have an ACME edge sander I bought at auction recently. It is not an oscillating belt but they can bought for $250 used and dirt simple. Everyone that has one loves them.

Redmond machine in Atlanta has at least two of them the last time I was over there.

I got the Grizzly non-oscillating edge sander a few months ago, and so far, I'm fairly impressed with it. I'm not sure I see the benefit of the oscillation, unless it's to save wear on the belt. I'm not an optimist... so that also seems like one more thing that can go wrong.

KC

i think they are still making sanders? maybe paul cresti will weigh in on this as he researched this a couple weeks ago.....the one i have is the smallest oakley made the h-5.....i`d suggest checking owwm, woodweb,ex-factory, ect.....you should be able to find one for about the same money as a new delta/p/m/ or griz.....real american cast iron, off the shelf bearings and solid as a rock!.......good luck jay! if paul doesn`t chime in i`ll try to do some research for you.. they`re out of bristol tenn........tod

Jay,
Even though I never got to speak directly with the guys at Oakley, yes they do make new ones but they will be in the 6-8k range I think. You can get a decent used one for around 3-4k. If you are "upgrading" then you need to decide what you want to do. If you need to sand veneers, use a tilting head for various angles, possibly use a spindle attachment and would like oscillation then you should look into European models from: MM/SCM, Volpato, ACM, Kundig, etc.... but watch out they are really pricey. I ended up throwing in the towel and decided to save my money and went with an el cheapo oscillating sander from Sunhill. I got a great price on freight damaged & repaired closeout....it works and does what it is suppose to do but I am sure glad I did not pay full asking price for especially considering the tools I am now accustomed to.

Thanks Tod and Paul for the advice, I am kinda stumped also, I have the Grizzly and it does what its suppose to, I just want a larger one w/osillation. Its one of those tools I dont want to spend fortune on one because of the lack of use it will receive but definatly want to upgrade

Paul, did they stop making the model you purchased, it looks like a different design from most of the imports (Delta, Bridgewood, Grizzly) and would you still choose yours over the others, thanks for the help.

Paul, did they stop making the model you purchased, it looks like a different design from most of the imports (Delta, Bridgewood, Grizzly) and would you still choose yours over the others, thanks for the help.

Yes I was told they stopped making the model I have. There was one left that I know of, by General International, up in Syracuse NY at Syracuse Industrial. I decided I did not need a sander with a spindle attachment becuase I do not have the room on the side of the machine plus I think the little side tables they come with are way to small. I am pretty happy with my router table mounted PC OSS, it works OK for my needs, plus I have a very large surface to work on. I also wanted a table that tilts so that narrowed my search down. I did consider a Ritter and almost went for one but the rep i dealt with just did not "excite me" with an enthusiastic sales approach. It felt like I was bothering him. Personally, if your machine works do not change it. The marginal improvement you get will only lighten your wallet and that is it. If your machine is no functioning correctly than that is a different story. Would I choose my machine again? yes I would but I payed 1095 for it plus shipping! so a lot had to do with the cost or lack there of...

for what it`s worth......i found my sander in a field 175 miles up the road....cost me 100 bucks, gas and some bearings-n-electrical parts...good luck!