Hall and Brown 12" jointer

Jeff Horton

Thought I would post some photos of the Hall and Brown I am trying to buy. This will convince you and I am indeed a masochistic person!

hbjointeranglevm0.jpg hbjointercastinguf3.jpg hbjointerdovetailpp2.jpg hbjointerfencefz1.jpg hbjointershoptag2mw2.jpg

Assuming I get this one it will be by far the biggest project/restoration I have ever taken on.

Jeff
Wondering what he is getting himself into on this one.

jeff, according to dev....babbit bearings when poured right are darn-near as accurate as precision bearings that cost a small fortune.....knowing your affection for old machines with cool lines i`ve gotta wonder if you`d be happy with the "eagle" knowing you let this`n go?......tod

Boy, you will be doing a lot of "Tank Work" on that baby, but man, you will never out grow it! :thumb:

I agree with Tod about babbitt bearings, they are not that hard to do either, I've poured a few in old truck motors, and an 1927 Studebaker! :D If you screw it up, you just melt out the bearings and do it again!

Just think how nice that would be to use, updated it a bit, but man it would be sweet.

Jeff,

Not to be the negative person here - but in pic 2 it looks like the babbit box is broken out. That might not be a deal breaker (so to say) but I'm wondering what other damage may have been caused at the same time. Far be it for me to give advice since you've got more experience at this than me - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the damage.

Otherwise, just remember that cast iron does indeed bounce when dropped - on your foot.:D

Good luck, it looks like a cool old piece.

Wes

jeff, according to dev....babbit bearings when poured right are darn-near as accurate as precision bearings that cost a small fortune.....knowing your affection for old machines with cool lines i`ve gotta wonder if you`d be happy with the "eagle" knowing you let this`n go?......tod

From what I understand babbitt is still used in some ultra precision machines. They are poured and hand scraped to a near perfect fit. So yes, they are super good bearings. Ball and roller are cheaper to install on a assembly line. ;) and we all know money wins over quality.

And I have decided against the Ollie unless I can can get it cheap for a couple of reasons. I think the idea of a ready to use machine just got the better for me for a moment. :eek: Just lost my head.

........If you screw it up, you just melt out the bearings and do it again!

Just think how nice that would be to use, updated it a bit, but man it would be sweet.

Never done it but have read about it and there a several guys on OWWM that have and are always willing to give advice. The guy that has this machine has offered to send me his babbitt scrapers with it on. On loan, not a gift.

He also has a 3 blade round safety head for it. This one has the original 2 blade square head. If you get a finger caught in that it's gone! The round head will just take the tip off your fingers. But putting in the round head means I would have to switch over to pillow block bearings most likely. I need to get it here and see it to know what I want to do. I hate to change it but if it's not safe and/or I am scared of it...... then it is an easy choice.

Jeff,

.... looks like the babbit box is broken out. ....

Your right Wes, it is broken and the owner, who is a another Arn Head says that is all thats wrong with it. I trust he knows what he is talking about. No idea why it's broken either, no one has any idea as to why that would break like that. I wonder if water got in there and it froze? Sure looks like a freeze crack to me.

We have talked about how to repair it. Thinking brazing might be the best idea. But after seeing Stu's welding I am thinking I might want to ship it Japan. :wave: :)

It pains me to see fine old iron left out in the weather. :(
With your restoring skills I'm sure it will look like new but it's going to tale a lot of work!

The current owner got it as part of a package deal. He has a similar jointer and didn't want this one. Obviously it has been outside in the weather. But Lenny has is tarped and protected so no further damage occurs. The amazing thing is it is complete. Well it's missing one knob and that's it. Imagine trying to find parts for this puppy!

But yes, I hate seeing like that out in the weather trying to return to ground!

902-B.jpg

This is an 8" jointer but it is a dead ringer for this one. And no, I will not paint mine red, but it won't be gray either. ;) I have a couple of ideas for colors that will look like they could be original but have a little snap to them. What I want is Kirk's motor sitting behind the jointer! Wouldn't that be perfect on there!

A freeze crack - that would make sense since it's been outside. Hope it all works out - the refurb looks great.

Wes

Geez that thing looks like it's been stored in the hold of the Titanic. Ought to be worth a lot of money.:D Can't wait to see the After pics.

Well, I may be getting this one after all. Had a guy that was hauling some machines from Arkansas to Georgia and thought he was going to bring this jointer along for the ride. I was going to meet him at an exit on the interstate and swing it onto my trailer. But the price was higher than I expected and not so sure this is going to work out.

Jeff

LOL...Jeff your gonna blow a gaskett if you don't watch it....Hope you get it soon so you can sleep. Is there anyone in QWWM that has any for parts you might be able to get. You do know they have a guy in Pa. that dose castings of small parts too.
Reg

Reg, the great thing about this jointer is it is only missing one piece! Yes just one! Thats an adjustment knob. Odds of find it are slim to none, but I can find something that will work while I hope to find something similar.

Humm, just realize it is probably a casting or could be. I hadn't thought about using one as a pattern to have another one cast from.....:thumb:

And yes, this is very frustrating. I have 3 tools I want REALLY want and this is number two on that list. So yea, I am getting flustered. I agreed to buy this MONTHS ago. I am ready to close this deal, restore it and then start looking serious for #3.

Ian, watch it. We will start talking about your problems next! :wave: ;)

I am not an addict! I only buy what I can use. I don't collect old iron. ;)

OK, I admit I do have a couple of machines that I don't need or use, but they will be put up for sale once I give them a little TLC. They were package deals, take them to get what I wanted.

And I love hand tools too. I really don't collect those though. I only have a few that I use. I want a #62 but to use, but at the prices they are bringing!? I will never have one unless I just luck up on one somewhere.