lesson learned

this i liked till i stained the inside.:eek: If i new then what i know now i wouldn't of stained the inside till i sealed the out side.:(Ofcorse if it wasn't so thin it probably woun't of bleed through.:huh: Owell another lesson learned:rofl: It was just a experiment with the dyes any way. If you look close you can see a number of spots that it bleed through.
Steve

Attachments

• 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 77
So... Maybe I can see where it bled through? :huh:

Still, looks very nice and I like it. :thumb:

Wondering if its one of those things where the maker sees all the "flaws" and other folks might see "character" and "interesting artistic difference"?

That's a real pretty piece, Steve. :thumb: I like the contrast with light wood and the dyed parts. The bleed through looks like just part of the wood grain...at least in the picture it does. And I really like the form, too.

I guess i just no where they are.If you look right at where the rim curves into the bowl, you see little black dots. and about a 1/2 inch under the stripe, and also down at the foot.. the pic don't show them as well as in person. As i was dying the inside i noticed some, what i thought was splatter from my brush.Thinking i could sand it off i kept going.:( well after i let it dry i came back to it and decovered it went all the way through.:eek: O well live and learn.:doh:

Stephen,
That looks great from here. Next time try sealing the inside maybe with some shellac prior to dying it. Zinsser makes a dewaxed shellac that is iin a rattle can that would be ideal for this type of application.

I didn't know you could use dye on sealed surfaces. I thought dye worked by soaking into the wood or tinting the liquid finish before it's applied, not by sitting on a sealed surface. :huh: I'm basing that assumption on this:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/transtints.htm

Stephen, you won't know if something works unless you try it :rolleyes:...I don't any problem with this one from the pic. Remember, we are always are own worst critics. Keep up the experimenting. :thumb:

I didn't know you could use dye on sealed surfaces. I thought dye worked by soaking into the wood or tinting the liquid finish before it's applied, not by sitting on a sealed surface. :huh: I'm basing that assumption on this:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/transtints.htm

Since shellac is alcohol bases it is perfectly fine to use an alcohol based dye they will just blend in just like putting a second coat of shellac. I have done it often in my refinishing business.

Since shellac is alcohol bases it is perfectly fine to use an alcohol based dye they will just blend in just like putting a second coat of shellac. I have done it often in my refinishing business.

Thanks, that makes sense. :thumb: I've had some cases where that would be handy.

Thanks, that makes sense. :thumb: I've had some cases where that would be handy.

vaughn the tinting the finish afterwords will not color the wood just the finish on top of it,, but you can definatley blend in some areas that way. i too have used dye to correct a blemish after it had been finish with one coat or two. your thoughts of dyeing first will color the wood though,, think back on the furniture yu have seen that got scratched or chipped and the wood looked natural under it..thats a perfect example of tinting the finish not coloring the wood.