World Cup...

Art Mulder

Congratulations to Spain. :thumb:

I'm no expert at the game, but I have to say I was rather disappointed, and that isn't just because I was cheering for The Netherlands. It was not a very nice game. The ref was very aggressive I thought, handing out yellow cards left and right, and there were a couple of very glaring missed calls.

I watched a bit of it, and was convinced that the officiating in soccer, er, football, is part of the randomness of the game. But congrats to Espana for the totally inspirational 1-0 win! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Congrats to Spain, I know some Spanish guys here who are over the moon that they won, but even they have complained about the really boring play that Spain used to get there.

I hear it was a real thug-fest :doh:

I've read some accounts online, and some of the sports writers are saying the English ref could have and should have gone to the yellow card more often and sooner. "The Dutch gooned it up and Spain had to answer", is what I'm reading. The ref gave out 14 yellow cards, the previous record was 6 yellow cards in the 1986 final between West Germany and Argentina, more than a two fold increase :eek:

From what I've read this boring thug-fest will only make the game less popular in the US the one market that FIFA has not yet conquered.

I spent my time enjoying the day with my wife and daughter, time well spent! :wave:

Geez, I was reading about the cleat to the chest of the one Dutch goon, but you have to see it to believe it.....

>> Link <<

:eek: Cleats to the chest, the only thing the guy has on to protect him is a thin jersey, and the ref only gives a yellow card :huh: :dunno: That thug should have been gone, that could have killed the Spanish player, stopped his heart, look at how hard it rocks his whole body.

And some people say Ice Hockey is rough :rolleyes: :D

Is it me or will this world cup go down as having some really, really, bad officiating? (But seriously, I know NOTHING about soccer, er, football, but that didn't look right no matter what).

You know what I really like watching? It can probably make the world cup look interesting to many of you....

It's the Americas Cup Yacht racing. I love it. Couldn't stand that last year it wasn't televised in the US....

I'd like to see a story and/or video that gathers up all the officiating errors that were made in this game. I hope they tighten things up before the next one -- put on more refs, somehow make use of instant replays, do something to address the exaggerated acting that takes place on the field.

I read this neat article a few weeks ago that pointed out how a game of tennis, which features only two actual players, has ELEVEN officials. Contrast that to football/soccer.

I was watching.....er.....dozing for only the last few minutes of the overtime. Boredom beyond imagination and that annoying vevu-whatever sound in the background caused me to mute the TV.
Oh, I missed the winning shot. Oh, well.

I'd like to see a story and/or video that gathers up all the officiating errors that were made in this game.

Art,

Try this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/12/the-best-and-worst-world_n_642489.html

Check out especially #16. You can clearly see the ball well inside the net, and yet, a non-goal!

Check out also the acting job that got Kaka a red card (#24).

They say that in golf, course hazards are just part of the game, and in foot, the same goes for officiating. But just look at the non-call for offsides against Mexico (#17).

But the two worst moments? Uruguay blatantly cheating, and getting away with it to win the game (#19). Evidently, the Uruguay player later said he'd do it again if he had the chance! It's perhaps even worse than "the holy roller" (also known as "the immaculate deception") of 1978. An obvious cheat, and yet the cheaters excused their perfidy and even bragged about it later! Nothing ever changes! ;)

Worst of all? Winning a world cup final in the last minutes of the second overtime with a goal that was *clearly* offsides! If FIFA had instant replay, they'd still be playing! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
I love soccer but I must admit the final game was a little boring.

Soccer is gaining popularity in USA, especially among young girls. I think US women's soccer team has played a big role in that. It is getting more coverage on TV now. I remember a time when I had to watch world cup matches on spanish channels or on Pay-per-view.

Congratulations Spain but mainly for Toni's benefit.:thumb: I too was disapointed at the game and the whole quality of soccer throughout the world cup for those bits and pieces i happened to watch.

The Dutch should be embarrassed with the unsportsmanlike play that they exhibited. Seems to me win at all cost becomes the sporting mantra today. I could not believe the boot to the chest.

The officials well in some ways i think they follow the party line of the hierachy that rules on where the cup should be awarded. That is such a corrupt committee why should we expect more from the people that they choose to put on the field. And the ethics of the players follows on from there. I find it difficult to stomach unethical play it runs against what i would like to see my son learn to be like, but its more and more prevalent and not only in soccer.

As for Blatter he should go. Its time for change just like Hockey and Gary Bettman. Some of these guys are way too influencial and powerful for the good of the sport.

As an ex South African I am proud of what South Africa did in hosting it but i have totally skeptical views as to whether there will trully be any long term benefit come from it. I would like to see the stadiums in 2 years time and see their condition then.

The real reality is the money spent on this event in local currency terms is huge in purchasing power terms and for a nation where not everyone has access to clean running water or classrooms in reasonable proximity an event like this is a luxury.

The aurguments that it will attract investment since it exposes the country to the world are in my opinion nonsense.

Business is about a market size and its economic puchasing power. A country that has just over 40 million people and located so far from everything where unemployment is around 25% or more in some areas with an economically active population of less than half this amount when they are employed is not the most attractive place to invest.

Crime has not changed it dropped for a month due to police and army being out in force but not for the people that are really affected it also affects the poorest the most. Hiv infection rates are the highest in Africa and the funeral business is the biggest growth opportunity. Yet most of the government remains in denial.

sorry for the downer but i think they could have done better with the cash and Fifa took away $3.2 billion dollars who the heck for????:huh: It cost the host nation $5.4 billion last time i checked or saw something about the cost.

As the phrase goes "TIA" this is Africa.:(