My new old 604

ken werner

Picked up a 604 on the bay. Here are the before and after pictures of my efforts to fix it up.

Attachments

• 604.jpg
    604.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 29
  • 604 side.jpg
    604 side.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 604 side after.JPG
    604 side after.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 604 front after.jpg
    604 front after.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 33
Great job, Ken!

Did you repair the tote or find a replacement somewhere? Your Bedrock was in "better than average" condition compared to the rust I find locally. I would have been playing it very cool if I saw that at an estate auction - and praying nobody else knew what it was ;)

Ian - you mean the before was better than average? I thought it was kind of rough.
I repaired the tote.

I find that planes with broken totes often sell for a bit less, and I enjoy fixing them. I'll post the before and after of the 5 1/2 I'm working on also - when I have an after to post.

Ken

Ian - you mean the before was better than average? I thought it was kind of rough.
I repaired the tote.

Ken

Your "before" looks better than the great majority of planes I see/buy at auctions here in NS. The climate is very humid and a lot of the stuff has sat for decades in damp barns or basements. I've had to apply penetrating oil just to remove the lever cap or separate chip-breaker and iron. Had to remove dead bugs and cobwebs, too. Good news is that I've never bought one I couldn't bring back to life - knock wood :doh:

Hehe - Rough? You can't handle the Rough !!