Cherry Salad Bowl

Jeff Bower

This is the largest bowl I've ever turned. 13" round and about 7" deep. I pikced up some cherry from the ground's crew at work about a month ago and finally got around to turning some of it last weekend. It was a big log and I wasn't sure I could fit it on the lathe, but with a little trimming it went on. (See pic 1)

I turned this one to finish and put it inside a double layer paper bag for a week. I found a few little crackes (less than 1/4" and not deep) that I filled with some sanding dust and CA glue. It has warped quite a bit, but I think it will look great once the warping is done. I still need to do a little final sanding and add another coat or two of danish oil then it will be put to use in the house as a salad bowl. "The Boss" likes it too so that is a bonus!

Attachments

• p_00463.jpg
    p_00463.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 40
  • p_00471.jpg
    p_00471.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 42
  • p_00472.jpg
    p_00472.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 38
  • p_00474.jpg
    p_00474.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 43
Nice one Jeff! That's got some really interesting character/cool grain. I'm sure you and the "boss" will get years of use out of it. Also, you did a great job of handling a larger chunk of wood!

Hutch

I'm with "the Boss" on this one... that's a nice bowl. Love the way you left the bark on the sides... I like that effect on turnings and use it quite a bit myself... great job.

I picked up some cherry from a friend last year... it's been sitting under a tarp in the back yard since... some of it was beginning to crack when I picked it up and the ants had been at the heart of some of it... just hope the rest is useable and looks a good as yours...