Aargh! So many tools. So little money.

Dave Richards

I sold my Ornamental Mill and am now feeling the need to replace it. Part of me wants to buy a lathe but I know what happens then. Sucked into the vortex never to be seen again. Of course there's some green and black tools with white plastic boxes that are calling my name. I could also use the money to buy some marine ply and mahogany and build a boat. My wife says I should just save. I think she's nuts. :rolleyes: :D

What would you do?

Hi Dave,
Since your wife is involved she needs be heard, get a % she wants to save and then GO FOR IT with the rest.:D Sounds fair to me,... but I am a male.:dunno: Good luck.
Shaz

what do you "need" to build what`s on your plate? will the project show a profit, or will it be for "fun"?......if you`re only doing woodworkin` for a hobby then ball`s in your court.......if you`re doin` it for bucks make sure you make more than you spend;) ...hobbies are kinda hard to justify to wifes......especially as you keep cutting 4 figure checks.........but a business venture that shows some profit that`ll help fund her hobby is a wonderfull thing........

I have bought a lot of stuff over the years that wore out or depreciated to almost nothing but that rarely happens with quality tools. I have never been sorry years later when I use a tool that still works good and cost much more to buy now. I bought quite a few tools last year as I had the feeling that they were going up in price and sure enough look what has happened. I say that as long as you have plenty to eat, a roof over your head and plenty to care for your family that you cannot go wrong buying quality tools be it a hobby or business. Of course if it is for a business you may not have a choice. Tools are not going to get any less expensive, that is for sure.

Tell your wife that the cost of diamonds is going down in the next few years but the cost of tools is going up so you need to maximize your purchasing power and the family will be better off in the long run.

Dave,

Don't know your situation but savings does not imply only money.

You can save your money towards retirement, then get into woodworking as a full-time hobby to keep you busy. But that lathe or jointer that cost $x dollars in 2007 will then cost twice that much and will be made out of plastic in a third world country by 2014.

Or you can buy the tools now as an investment towards your retirement years. In the mean time, you can use them to build presents for your miserly sweetie. Also, when you retire, ww newbies will look at your tools as back-in-the-day classics.

rick

Hi Dave;
27 years ago, before my wife and I were married, a friend would take us sailing. He complained that his sailing hobby was like throwing money into the ocean and he still had just a boat, a nice one, but the same boat. He was persistant in trying to get me to "buy in" and share his hobby.

One of my tool purchase schemes has been to show my wife the picture of the finished piece, "wouldn't you like one of these?" or "I think I could build one of these for you." Then I tackle the project. If I need something I try to justify it based on the project at hand. Eventually, over many years, I was able to build up a comfortable tool inventory. But I still want-need a couple small items.

Being very fortunate to sell some pens and bottle stoppers over the past several years has offset the hobby expense. One thing to remember... before or after a tool purchase, never comment about paying the bill. DAMHIKT:D

Good Luck, Mike