Axis antler and snake pens

Frank Fusco

I'm needing to replenish inventory at the art gallery.
Had a chance to catch up on some shop time.
Made these, among other things, to send.
First is a shot of a hunk of Axis antler on the lathe. I love this stuff. Despite being a very hard material, it is almost solid bone all the way through. Not much marrow appears as it is turned down to pen proportions. Finished shows it on a bullet pen. The cartridge and bullet assembly is courtesy of our own Dale Johnson. He does a fine job making these. They are good sellers. My previous galleries would/could not sell anything made from animal products. (The 'why' is something I won't get into here)
Second pen is a full-sized Gentleman in Tn gold color made from a rattlesnake skin. These sell well as gift items. I have been told they are as impressive as a status item in a board room as a Rolex watch. One client referred to these as "power pens".

Attachments

• Axis on lathe.jpg
    Axis on lathe.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Axis bullet pen.jpg
    Axis bullet pen.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 56
  • snake Gent pen.jpg
    snake Gent pen.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 54
very nice work. the antler/bullet pens look nice with a antler turned finial on them also. I definitely like the cartridge pens with the real bullet nibs, verses the ones with the fake nibs. Nice work.

Nice pens Frank.:thumb:

Vaughn why should PETA complain? I thought antlers were dropped each season so they available in the wild without doing anything to the animal no?:D

Because, complaining is what PETA does.
But, in reality, antlers (from deer) are rarely found in the woods. For whatever reason, in elk country they seem to be able to find a lot of sheds. This Axis deer antler was from a ranch in Texas that raises them. Several pieces were given to me by a friend. I do not know how they were harvested and don't care if they were from hunting or picked up sheds.

They look great Fran, but the 3rd one, the Snakeskin, that is really nice!

Finding antlers dropped in the woods, I had no trouble, just take a walk in the woods and I'm just about guaranteed to trip over one and just about bust my leg :rolleyes: :D

They look great Fran, but the 3rd one, the Snakeskin, that is really nice!

Finding antlers dropped in the woods, I had no trouble, just take a walk in the woods and I'm just about guaranteed to trip over one and just about bust my leg :rolleyes: :D

Must be me. I have never found an antler in the woods. At one time I would go walking at shed time just looking for them.

Because, complaining is what PETA does.
But, in reality, antlers (from deer) are rarely found in the woods. For whatever reason, in elk country they seem to be able to find a lot of sheds. This Axis deer antler was from a ranch in Texas that raises them. Several pieces were given to me by a friend. I do not know how they were harvested and don't care if they were from hunting or picked up sheds.

I used to get my antler from a guy down in Jewett Texas... he had a game farm and picked up the sheds... I think Axis do shed after the rut season... not sure about other varieties of deer though..